Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Humbled and Amazed

At the end of the school year I was becoming worried about our oldest son's behavior. He's a people pleaser and a follower, which can lead to trouble (as I should know). But, in the past month, since school has been out for the Summer, he has reverted back to the sweet, compassionate, thoughtful boy we know and love. He often amazes me and even humbles me with his actions. Today was one of those days. When I woke up this morning, he was quick to tell me that he had already gotten Easton something to eat so I could sleep in. WHAT?? What (almost) 6 year old does that? Then we went to the park for awhile. E was trying my patience so P stepped in and said, "Mom, I'll help him. You can take a break." Again I ask WHAT?? For the first time ever I was able to sit and enjoy watching both my boys play at the park without having to jump up to help one-or both- of them. Before we got ready to leave, the boys wanted to swing but there were only 2 swings available. A boy and a girl were already on them so my boys stepped off to the side to patiently wait for the swings to become open. The 2 kids on the swings started making fun of my boys because P accidentally went in the girls' bathroom while rushing to help his little brother use the potty. One of the little girls on the swings was relentless in making comments about this, as most children are. But, P rose above and seemed to brush it off, not letting it phase him the way it was phasing me (Think Mama Bear with high blood pressure!). Then the girl has the audacity to ask if I'd push her on the swing. I quickly answered a resounding "no!". But my sweet little boy stepped in and said he'd push her. Talk about a humbling experience! My 6 year old was being a WAY better Christian witness than me with his kindness!! When the kids were called to get back on the bus she got off the swing without so much as a thank you. I should've learned from my son's kindness but I couldn't keep my snide comment about lacking manners to myself. Oops! (insert winking emoticon)
The rest of the day he continued his awesome behavior. He constantly asked how he could help me and would jump right in, being the "man of the house" as he likes to proclaim when Rob is working. Most days I'm in awe of my boys (at this stage in life for completely different reasons). Today not only was I in awe but I was humbled by my sweet boy, who has no problem putting others before himself and shows an abnormal amount of maturity in so many areas of life. I'm blessed to be his mom and I hope he can say he's blessed to be my son....even if he has to teach me lessons about life every now and then.

2 comments:

Mom said...

"And a child shall lead them". He has such a kind and compassionate heart. Love that little guy. Mom

Anonymous said...

Great post!