Friday, June 9, 2023

Miracles and Saying Goodbye

 A couple weeks ago, on a warm Thursday morning, I was waving goodbye to my students for the last time this school year when a text from Rob came through. It was a picture of my side by side laying on its side, with "They're fine but both are scared and crying.". It's a picture that no one wants to get, but I have thanked God on more than one occasion that both boys walked away from the accident with only some road rash. (Actually, one RAN away because he was scared that the cops were going to come! HA!) The boys were driving to their favorite fishing hole, which is about 2 blocks from our house. When they tried to make the turn, a water bottle was lodged under the brake pedal so they turned at about 25mph. I am incredibly THANKFUL that it wasn't worse!

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for an ATV accident that happened a mere three days later. Two kids were diving a 4-wheeler in between their houses when a car hit them from behind. Both kids were airlifted to the local hospital. Sadly, the 6 year old boy did not live. Praise Jesus, the 10 year old girl was discharged from the hospital yesterday. The little boy went to our school and his mom works there. I didn't  know him all that well but we parked next to him, his mom and his big brother every morning. They'd get out of the car at the same time as us and little Keigan always had a huge, infectious grin on his face. He held the door open for us and would skip into school as if it was his favorite place to be. 

When I first got the text about the accident, I asked Rob if we could stop by the hospital on our way home from the river to give hugs. I didn't know what we would find, but knew I wanted to be there to offer prayers and support. Not surprisingly, Keig's mom was not outside the hospital but we were able to get updates from co-workers and the little girl's family. (Her grandpa was covered in the kids' blood.) I prayed for 48 hours non-stop that God would provide a miracle and pull sweet Keigan out of his coma. We had a prayer vigil at the school, where at least 150 people attended. But, God had other plans and took him from this Earth last Tuesday afternoon. Since then, the community has come together even more to support each other, his mom and brother. Yesterday the school hosted a rock painting party to create a rock garden in Keigan's honor. Today was his visitation and tomorrow will be his memorial service. The service will be at a large local church because that boy touched so many lives in his short almost 7 years of life. He was a kind, sweet young boy who will be missed so incredibly much!

While I'm grieving the loss of Keigan, I am thanking the Lord that He spared our boys. I can't fathom the heartbreak that Virginia is going through, knowing she will never hold Keigan again. But I am not taking for granted the fact that I can hold and hug our boys whenever I want. Life is short so please make sure you hug your loved ones a little tighter and a little longer....








No comments: