Saturday was one for the books! It began the first day of Fall Break and to say it was chaotic was an understatement. We all woke up before the sun even broke over the horizon for the boys' first HS fishing tournament of the year. For the first time ever, they are fishing together on the same team, which is exciting....and expensive!
I watched the boys blast off and then I raced over to the school to help organize our 1st annual Dragon 5K. A month of so ago I had signed up to run it, but on Saturday morning I was second guessing that decision. It's been close to 5 years since I've run a race and I am so out of shape. But, at the last minute, I decided to give it a shot. It was painful and it was ugly, but I finished it! And the best part was that, although I walked at times, I persevered and did not finish last. In fact, I came in 1st for my age bracket! (Just don't ask how many people were in that bracket. Ha!)
After helping with the clean up, I came home to soak in a hot Epsom salt bath to relieve my muscles that haven't been used that much in years. I had just dried off when Rob called to ask where I was at. He told me that E took a hook (barb and all) through his thigh and wanted me to get him to urgent care. I threw on clothes that didn't really match and flew to the boat landing to meet up with them. When I saw the hook (and bait) in E's leg, I knew that urgent care would not be able to help us.
I rushed E to the ER, where everyone was super nice. The doctor was able to get the hook out and even gave it to E as a souvenir to remember his first HS fishing tournament. At first E said he didn't want to go back out to fish. Then he said if we could get Chipotle on the way back, he thought he could tough it out. Done! We even saw Konnor Griffin in line behind us, but I naively thought it was one of the boys that went to E's baseball clinic with him.
E powered through and was back on the boat within an hour after getting the hook extracted from his thigh. The boys didn't place, but it was cool that E was the one who caught their fish for the weigh in. As if that wasn't enough, the axle on Rob's boat trailer broke and he had to limp it home minus one wheel, hoping and praying for the best.
I was so physically and mentally drained by the end of the day that I fell asleep by 8:30, on the couch, that night. Thankfully, we have only made 1 ER visit for each boy (P's visit was when he was around the same age as E is). Being a Boy Mom is not for the faint of heart, but we are blessed that our boys' injuries over the years have not been as bad as some!
Praying that the rest of October is injury free and not quite as expensive as the first weekend was!



No comments:
Post a Comment