Thursday, January 21, 2010

Writing Woes

Writing is something I've always enjoyed. Most of the time I express myself in written form better than verbally. It's something that comes so natural to me, something I really enjoy. I know there's things I'm not good at, but being a writer is not one of them. So, that is why it is frustrating to hear "constructive criticism" when it comes to my stories. I'm in the process of getting some of my manuscripts put into print. But, to do so I am going through the Children's Writing Institute, where I send specific pieces then receive feedback from a published children's author. I was so excited when we got back in town and my latest piece was waiting for me. That was until I opened the package and saw a three page letter on how to make the story better. At first I was very frustrated so I just put everything back in the envelope and put it aside. But, today when I pulled it out and reread it I realized that the "constructive criticism" was just that. There were questions and suggestions to make the story better. Hopefully, after some editing, one of my pieces will be picked up by a children's magazine. After a few magazine publications my dream is to write a children's book, a true manuscript. One of these days there will be an announcement that Jennifer Herrington is not only a blogger but a published author!

No comments: