Tuesday, November 3, 2015

More Than Just....

Although I love filling the world (or 5 of you) in on our lives this blog also serves another purpose....a journal of sorts. I print the blog every couple years, making it into a book that I can look back at and reflect. So, tonight, after sitting in front of the computer for almost 5 hours doing photography work, this is more of a personal, intimate entry.
Let me first start off by saying that I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams with how successful my photography business has become!! I've had 4 sessions just this week and 2 were with schools. So please know, if you're reading this, that I am not complaining in the least about my business.
That being said, sometimes I want to tell people, "You know, I'm more than a photographer." Since moving here I've struggled with friendships. Not that I don't have a handful of friends but it's just different than my friends back home. My friends back home know me inside and out...what I like, my talents, my passions, my dislikes, my quirks, my entire personality. I feel like most people here just see me as a photographer. When I talk to someone at church most of the time the conversation turns to photography. I know I'm guilty of making it turn in that direction at times but there are a lot of times that I just want to say, "There is so much more to me." I am honored that people ask me to take their picture, to pay me to do something I love. But I also want people to love being around me because of who I am.
I used to be the one who could make people laugh way back when. Now Rob says I can be uptight and I agree. I've become more of a introvert and crowds can drain me. I used to be the one who was invited to so many things that I had a packed social calendar. Now I'm the one who watches what everyone else has done together via Facebook. I'm the one whose phone was "blowing up" and now when it dings it's usually my mom texting P.
This is not a pity party. This is my life as it currently is. I know who my true friends are, the ones who get me, who want to talk about everything under the sun, who I can make laugh. I am blessed to have those friendships in my life....friends who are like family.
But, sometimes it's nice to go back and read my entries years later and see how I've grown/changed. And that's the purpose this blog serves. So thanks for allowing me to be so personal and I'll get back to my family blogs as soon as business slows down. (Don't expect another blog any time soon...)

No comments: