Sunday, August 12, 2018

Two Years Ago!

There are a lot of good things in life you'll always remember: birthdays, your wedding day, the day your child(ren) were born. There are also some not-so-pleasant-downright-ugly days that are hard to forget. For me, that's the day my Nana took her last breath with me by her side, 9-11 and the Great Flood of 2016 two years ago.
I am not going to rehash it all because I've already done that...twice. But I'll tell you a few things I won't forget from the whole experience: teamwork, hard/backbreaking work with no complaining, water as far as the eye could see, teamwork, two little boys that never once uttered a complaint despite being in their daddy's truck all day-with little food- because we were too busy helping people, teamwork, a sense of community, feeling so bone chilling cold and tired beyond belief, knowing our house was close but felt a million miles a way, the feeling of panic when Rob's truck started filling with water, the comfort of the Pastor's son playing the piano at the church while we sandbagged it, people coming together in time of need.
After the flood waters receded I felt a sense of hopelessness because of all the despair. I remember feeling stranded because we couldn't get anywhere. I remember jonesing for a Coke like nobody's business and how good it tasted once we finally got one. I remember that we put silly stuff up high like DVDs instead of finding ways to elevate our furniture (Thankfully we didn't flood).
Some of those feelings/memories may recede as time goes on. But one thing I will always remember is how this small like community pulled together, with the outside world, to provide. Provide time, labor, money, donations, cleaning supplies, meals and our non-flooded homes. As devastating as it all was, there was also a sense of pride in being a small part of this helping community! We still have a ways to go to completely rebuild but we're getting there one day at a time.

No comments: