Tuesday, February 4, 2020

#MeToo

Three days after the Superbowl and I am still thinking about it, but not in a good way. I can't stop thinking about the halftime show and how disgusting it was- or at least the part I watched. I was actually excited that JLo was going to perform because I think she is such a talented woman. Not only do I think she's talented, but I think she's business savvy, intelligent and strong. But, if I didn't know anything about her or Shakira I would think, based on what I watched, that the only thing they had going for them is shaking their booties and degrading womankind in general. Women, especially recently, have fought so hard for women's rights, to be treated as equal instead of sex objects. But then the Superbowl allows these women to be seen as sex symbols. It disgusted me that these two women are role models but yet they dressed in basically nothing and just shook their "assets" on stage for millions to watch. What happened to the "MeToo movement where millions of women begged not to be treated as more than a nice body??
Our 7 year old was watching it with me and when he asked, "Why is that man smacking her butt if that's not her husband?" I knew it was time to turn it off. That's not the way I want our boys to treat women. I don't want them to grow up thinking it's okay to treat a woman like a piece of meat. I want them to respect women. I want them to think their wife is beautiful, as much for her brain and personality as for her looks. Watching things like the Superbowl halftime show goes against what I am trying to teach them. It's like society takes two steps forward and three steps back.
I posted something about it on FB and, to my surprise, many of my liberal friends were appalled by the show as well. Which, in my opinion, means that not just conservative women were offended by this "sex on a stick" show (Both literally and figuratively if you had the pleasure of watching JLo's pole dance). Why is the halftime show based on skin and controversy? Why can't it be family oriented, one that you enjoy talking about around the water cooler (Do businesses still have those??) the next day when you go to work? Let's take a step forward, America, and treat women the way God intended them to be treated and not just as a piece of meat.

No comments: