Friday, June 11, 2021

Lessons From a Baseball Field


 It’s amazing how much a child can teach an adult. This year we signed both boys up for baseball, requesting certain coaches. For reasons unknown, E did not get drafted by the coach he’s played for since starting t-ball. He’s on a completely new team. He didn’t know the coach or any of the kids on the team when he walked onto the baseball field in April. The first practice it became obvious really fast that he was way more advanced than his teammates. Now, if you know me, you know that I’m not the kind of parent who overhypes my kids. But I call a spade a spade. It was also obvious that this new coach was nothing like his beloved coach that he had played for during previous seasons. 

However, from Day 1, E has been very optimistic. He encourages his teammates and when his team loses (which is pretty much every game), he always finds the good in the game. He told us last night that he tells players on the opposing team what a great job they’re doing if they’re on the base he plays. I’m sure it’s frustrating to lose every game but he doesn’t let it get him down, nor does he speak of quitting (which is what I would want to do if I was in his shoes). He starts every game with a smile and ends every game the same way.

A few nights ago a game was going on on a field next to where we were playing. There was a lot of commotion happening. Since our game was painful to watch, I turned my attention to the game next to ours. It didn’t take long to see that the commotion didn’t come from the kids, but from the adults. A coach was jumping up and down, in the ump’s face, hollering about calls. It was downright embarrassing to watch this grown man act like that. I thought, “What kind of lessons is he teaching the kids?” What a lack of sportsmanship he was displaying!

Here our kid is losing game after game, despite putting forth his best effort, and he’s doing it with grace. This grown man is being unsportsmanlike in a CHILD’S baseball game. My child is showing more class than some of the adults on the baseball field!

Has it been a frustrating season? Yes! Are Rob and I ready for it to be over? Kind of. We love watching him play, but it’s been challenging for us to watch the games. But can we learn from E? Most definitely. I am proud of him. Not because of his stellar baseball skills, but because of how he conducts himself. It’s like we’ve told his big brother multiple times, “Your character is defined more by how you lose the game than how you win it.” I think sometimes people can learn more from kids and less from the obnoxious coaches (and parents). It’s not who wins or loses, but how you play the game that matters. 


*Its 3:30 and I’m blogging from my phone, so excuse all the errors.*

No comments: