Sunday, April 24, 2022

Stomach Bug

 Tuesday I was on my way to a dr appt and had a few bad stomach cramps. That doesn't happen often but I didn't think much about it. As the day progressed so did the symptoms. At 1:30am the stomach bug that is going around hit with a vengeance! I was awake the rest of the night, in the bathroom. Wednesday morning I still felt "off" but not enough to miss out on school. So I taught and made the best of it. The school nurse stopped me and asked if I was feeling okay because I didn't look so good. She said that there was a nasty stomach bug going around. By the end of the school day I was worn out. I figured it was because I hadn't slept much the night before. I hadn't run a fever so I figured it was something I ate. I came home and laid down for a couple hours, determined to feel good enough to go to P's baseball game. I made it out the door...barely...getting to his game a few minutes late. I watched him bat and then barely made it to the ballpark bathroom where I started vomiting violently. I raced home and spent the rest of the evening alternating between trying to sleep and running to the bathroom. 

Around 11pm I got up to use the bathroom for the 1 millionth time and, as I was washing my hands, I got lightheaded. The last thing I remember was thinking, "If I move fast, I think I can make it back to bed." I didn't. Rob heard a commotion in the bedroom (he was planning to sleep on the couch). He came in our room and found me sprawled out on the ground with blood dripping off my face. I didn't make it to the bed, but I'm pretty sure that our gun safe "caught" me on my way down as I passed out. Without going into detail, it was a very embarrassing situation that Rob dealt with in the classiest way possible. We argued about me going to the hospital but I was adamant I was not going since the boys were already in bed for the night. He finally realized that I was going to be more stubborn than him so he helped me get in the bath to get cleaned up. In between getting cleaned up and making it back to our bed, I passed out 2 more times. All I could think about was how I was messing up our floors after the housecleaner had just come that day. (The things that run through my head!)

Thursday I woke up and wasn't doing much better. I knew if I didn't get to the hospital, I wasn't going to feel better any time soon. So, after Rob took the boys to school, I agreed to have him take me to the ER. The doctor gave me an IV and Zofran and I felt like a million bucks about an hour later. Actually, I didn't but I definitely felt more human. I was discharged and went home to sleep the rest of the day while Rob took over Dad Taxi duties. 

Last night (4 days after originally feeling sick) I finally felt human again. I don't remember the last time I was that sick and I definitely don't remember ever having to go to the ER for dehydration. (I drink 60-90 oz of water a day...every day!). It was horrible and I don't wish that stomach virus on my worst enemy. I am glad it's behind me and hope to never experience it again. I don't get sick often but, when I do, it's not a big deal. I don't deal well with stomach bugs and that one was a really big deal. Glad that one's behind me. Good riddance.






No comments: