Saturday, February 1, 2020

Blessed

I know I am long overdue for a blog but 2020 has taken off with a bang. I feel like this is the first down time I have had since the new year began. And that's a good thing. Our life has been full of so many blessings recently and it makes me want to step back and say, "Is this really our life?"
A few days after the new year my principal called and asked if I'd like to be the teacher of a new kindergarten class that was opening up at our school. I didn't have to hesitate before happily accepting this promotion. Along with this new job came a lot of LONG hours, prepping my classroom and jumping back into a world of 5 and 6 year olds. I'm not gonna lie....it's been challenging. Mainly because it's all new curriculum and most days I have the mentality of "Fake it til you make it." I am LOVING my new job, despite the craziness and long hours. The boys are pretty happy with my new position as well because they love inviting their friends to my classroom and playing on the class computers after school when I have duty.
Shortly after the new year my mom had thyroid surgery and two days after her surgery my dad broke his foot. (Their 2020 isn't starting out so great!) Thankfully we had the financial means and I have an understanding boss that let me take my first Friday off with my new class to go help my parents. I spent the weekend with them, relaxing. We watched Hallmark movies, took naps and laid low. I tried to help as much as I could on top of just spending quality time with them. However, I didn't want my dad to feel completely helpless so I clogged up their garbage disposal and spilled ice cream and chocolate syrup on their carpet so he'd have something to do as well. Ha! It was a perfect weekend and I am so thankful that I got to be selfish and enjoy time with them by myself.
Our social lives have been hopping on the weekends. I was teasing P this morning after I picked him up from a birthday party sleepover. I asked him, "How does it feel to be one of the popular kids? You have been to 3 birthday parties this month and it's all with the same group of kids." I wasn't that popular kid at school so I am so incredibly thankful that he has been blessed with a great group of boys. They are sweet, well mannered young men and most of them are Christians. In between his social life and work responsibilities, Rob and I have been amping our social lives up as well. Today I got to meet friends for lunch to celebrate the pregnancy of one of them. Tonight we are meeting up with friends for dinner. Last weekend we went on a date- just the two of us. I don't remember the last time we've gone out just the two of us but we decided that we need to do it more often.
To top it all off, I was able to buy a brand new SUV this week. This is the first time I've owned a brand new car and it's the first time I have bought a car in 6 years. I am over the moon happy about it and can't believe it's mine!
I don't say all this to brag. I say it to brag on the Lord for blessing us in so many wonderful ways since the new year began. I don't take it for granted and I thank HIM every day for all that He's blessed us with. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds in store for us!

No comments: