Friday, May 29, 2020

I Want a Do Over!

We are not even halfway through this year and I already want it to be over. There's only one other year that I have felt the same and that was 2006, the year my Nana died. I felt that was a year of heartbreak and I couldn't wait for it to end. 
This year has been quite different, a challenging one at best. My dad started the year with pneumonia and then broke his foot (He's still in a walking boot!!). My mom had surgery and then had complications with it, landing her back in the hospital. I had the flu for the first time in my adult life. Then, 60 days after getting my Kindergarten class, life shut down for 2+ months because of COVID-19. We were housebound and bored, anxious and fearful. Vacations and family time was cancelled. People were (and still are to some extent) at odds at to how to "live" life.
Life still hasn't completely gotten back to normal from Rona and now we're dealing with national racial tension. Why can't this year end? 
I've spoken enough about Rona so let me touch on the new hot topic....racial tension. It breaks my heart! It does. I was not raised to look at someone differently based on their skin color. I don't remember the first time I hear the "n word" but I know for a fact it was not in our house. My parents treat everyone with respect. We don't want the boys to be raised to look at people differently because of ethnicity and race. And I don't get why that's so hard. Actually, I do. I blame the media. The media is so quick to point out racial tension (especially when it comes to police officers or politicians). But, once they blow a story up and get everyone's blood boiling they start backtracking, saying that more needs to be done to get rid of racial tension. In no way, shape or form should Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd died the way they did. They were treated inhumanely because of the color of their skin. And the sad thing? People stood by and watched, videoing them as they took their last breath. How senseless! I have not watched either video. Seeing a still shot of the videos plastered all over my FB newsfeed is enough to turn my stomach and leave a sour taste in my mouth. 
But the other thing I don't get is the protesters. I am not, in any way, asking people to keep silent about this injustice. However, when given a national platform, I would hope people would handle it more respectfully. I have been to Minneapolis twice and loved it. It's beautiful and the people are friendly. I would never in a million years imagined the looting and fires and shootings to happen there. Again, I don't get why people have to hurt others in retaliation. Sometimes "an eye for an eye" is not the best way to handle a horrific situation.
I have so, so many more thoughts on this but my mind keeps going in circles and before long I'll begin rambling. In closing, I hope that heartbreaking situations like this get people thinking about how they treat others, the difference between right and wrong, how to show respect. People don't have to agree. I don't agree with a lot of my brother's thoughts and opinions. But I love and respect him dearly, making it easier to find a middle ground in how we discuss our differences.
People, don't add to the stress and tension that 2020 has already brought. Pray and let go.....and hope that 2021 is a much better year!

No comments: