Saturday, May 9, 2020

Mother's Day Wish

One of the many things I've learned from Rob over the years is that I don't have to be in control all the time. I may want things a certain way but I also have to respect other people's wishes. So, I know that when I say I want something for Mother's Day or my birthday it will happen. Because that's how Rob rolls. A few nights ago, after a long day, I told Rob that all I wanted for Mother's Day was a few hours to myself. No one saying, "Mom...." followed by a request or question. I wanted just a few hours of silence, where I didn't have to listen to stories or be at someone's beck and call. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my boys more than life itself and would do anything for them in a heartbeat but this 24/7 stuff gets to me some days.
Rob had planned to take the boys camping tonight. But, as luck would have it, we got a huge storm yesterday and the ground will be wet for days. Not the ideal camping situation. So, this afternoon he told me he was going to take the boys out for a couple hours. It was all I could do not to do the Happy Dance right then and there. I had visions of a long, hot bubble bath and reading my book in complete silence. The bubble bath did not happen and I've only read 1 paragraph of my book. But, I did take an hour long nap and have enjoyed the silence since waking up.
But, you know what? Now I'm ready for them to come home now. I'm ready for the loud. I'm ready for the requests and questions. I'm ready to hear about Lego inventions and have coffee spilled on me because one of the boys has crawled up on my lap. I'm ready to worry about what to make for dinner. I'm ready to get slaughtered in a dirtbike video game. I have cherished the past couple hours by myself, I feel rejuvenated. But I'm ready to be "Mom" again because that's the best job I've ever been blessed with.

No comments: