Monday, February 22, 2021

Icecalopyse 2021












 Last week we were supposed to be in Nashville, enjoying our Mardi Gras break. Instead we were freezing during a historic ice storm that made its way through the South. It probably would have been more enjoyable had we not lost power for 38 hours. But we made the best of it. Rob was “out of town” on storm work so the boys and I played lost of Yahtzee and Name that Tune. When our house got really cold (no fireplace thanks to the previous owners and temps in the teens outside) we bundled in sleeping bags and blankets and told stories. I was thankful that our neighbors took in our little gecko to keep warm in front of their fireplace. I was also thankful that it was cold enough that we didn’t have to worry about losing groceries due to the power outage. I was also thankful for the neighbors who made me coffee each morning and friends who offered us a warm place to stay. I wasn’t willing to leave the dogs but we did run up the road to Rob’s hotel the second day so I could take a hot shower and we could warm up for a couple hours. It was glorious! What I was most thankful for is when our power came back on. I’ve never been without electricity for that long. Once it came on, I was able to enjoy the beauty of the storm.

Hard to believe that was a week ago and today I was almost sweating in 70+ temps. 2021 is rolling in the way 2020 went out and I’m tired of living through historical events. So if 2021 could mellow out I’d be most appreciative! Until the next historical event...

No comments: