Tuesday, July 6, 2021

My Why

 When I joined my gym back in December, I did so on a BOGO deal for a month. I had been looking back at pictures from 2020 and had realized that I needed to do something about my weight. Toward the end of my month long membership I received a call that I had won a full membership to the gym. I was elated! Upon starting my new membership, I joined a weight loss challenge. To start the challenge I had to fill out a questionnaire so my coach could get to know me better. One of the questions was something like, "What is your WHY in wanting to do this challenge?" The obvious answer was that I wanted to feel good about myself again and wanted to get back to a healthy weight. But, after digging deeper, my WHY was that I wanted to be active with the boys without getting winded. I didn't want to just take them to the park. I wanted to PLAY with them at the park. 

Last Fall, I was mortified when I was helping P practice his times for cross country by running with him. He quickly took the lead and pretty soon I was huffing and puffing. Before getting to 1 1/2 miles I had to stop, despite the fact that I've run a few half marathons over the past 10 years. E shouted, "Hey P, you have to slow down. Mom had to stop and walk." That moment becomes my motivator when I want to skip a workout or not give 110% during my workout. I don't want to have to stop, to slow down, to give up.

I know I have mentioned my weight loss and I am happy with how my body looks now...for the most part. (If I gave up sweets my stomach would be flatter and that would be great!) But what makes me proud is that I'm now the mom who is an active part of her sons' lives, who plays with her kids without getting winded anymore. This Summer we have gone on long bike rides, have played beach volleyball, have played Wiffle Ball and have played tennis. Last night I even raced E and was proud that I could keep his pace (He's a fast little sucker!). 

That is my WHY. My boys and creating memories with him that include me being involved instead of sitting on the sidelines is my WHY. Life is too short to sit on the sidelines and I am thankful for the opportunity to be an active part of it!


At my gym, every week, there is a word of the week. Each day, a quote is read that has to do with the weekly theme word. This is one of the quotes that I have saved on my phone because it's so true...







No comments: