Friday, July 30, 2021

Cancel Culture

 Rob and I got to have an evening away last night, just the two of us. We stayed at a nice resort and enjoyed a concert. During the concert, the performing musician gave a shout out to a country artist who got dropped faster than fast earlier this year when he made a derogatory comment that was caught on video. On the way home today, Rob and I were talking about the new buzz phrase "cancel culture" and how easy it has become to "cancel" someone we don't agree with, which got me thinking. 

Why has it become so easy to "cancel" someone when they make a mistake these days? It's easy to take a person's fame, their job, their livelihood instead of "coaching" or counseling someone. One wrong thing and the person is essentially done. How is that right? Another thing that gets me is that it's ok for some people to say things or make liberal statements, but it's not ok for others. Who gets to decide what is right or wrong to say and why isn't it equal across the board? When did our society become like this? Why isn't grace shown for EVERYONE? 

As an educator, you are taught to give students multiple opportunities to get the right answer. You are taught to give them multiple chances when they do something wrong. I get that they are children, but why can't that same grace be shown for adults? Adults don't need several chances to right a wrong (most of the time). But I don't agree with wiping someone's career out when they say one wrong thing. That gives society too much power for one person's life.

What if God did that to us? Jesus is the only perfect human to have walked on Earth, which means we are shown grace continually. I can't imagine God condemning us to Hell for one mistake. No! He gives us multiple chances and loves us regardless of our stupidity. That's what we need to model, especially as Christians. 

This is a lesson I am being taught this Summer. As I recently blogged, having a pre-teen has its challenges. I'm learning when to show grace and when to use tough love to teach a lesson. I don't always get it right, but I'm trying to practice what I preach. 

For the record, I am not in any way, shape or form saying I agree with people's bad choices. I'm just asking why we, as a society, can't overlook people's flaws or choices to a certain extent and love or support them even through the hard times? A little grace sure goes a long way! "Cancel culture" does not. 

*Mic drop.

No comments: