Saturday, August 7, 2021

Proud Wife

 I'll start out by asking your forgiveness. I know what I want to say but my thoughts are all over the place because it's the weekend before school and I am overwhelmed. I will try to make sense but if I don't, you know why. 

When I married a lineman over a decade ago I didn't realize all that it would entail. I didn't understand the late night calls or the missed holiday celebrations as a family or the weeks away from each other. What I did know is that I married a hard worker. When we lived in NV, he was one of just a few who would answer calls in the middle of the night. Sadly, the company he worked for didn't appreciate that as they should (and have since called him to say that they regret not moving him up into management). When he started at the power company here he knew he was at the point where he didn't enjoy being on a bucket truck anymore. He did it because it is what he signed up for as a lineman, but it hurt him physically and caused him too much time away from us. So he set his sights on the job he wanted and made quite a name for himself at the company.

He has quickly moved up the management ladder and, just this week, began his dream job with the company. He is now part of an elite group, a coveted job that so many in the company want. Not only that, but he's doing what he loves- coaching and teaching linemen. I am proud of him. I am proud of how hard he's worked, sacrifices he's made to get where he is. He could've easily said, "I only have a GED. I'm not smart enough, good enough, etc to have an elite management position." But he didn't. He showed everyone, including our boys, that hard work pays off.

While he just started the job this week, we've already talked about how weird it is that he gets home at a normal time. He also gets to sleep in a little later in the morning. His phone isn't ringing all day and night. Literally. He is present when he walks in the door. He has gone swimming with the boys a few times this week. He has been a huge help with the boys' schedules and getting our a/c repaired this week when my schedule conflicted. 

I am excited for his new job and so proud of all the hard work he put into making this dream come true. I am happy for what it means for our family- more quality time together. I am proud that he proved that, even without a college degree, you can make it to the top with the right mindset and dedication. Hard work truly does pay off!

No comments: