Sunday, July 31, 2022

Settled....Not Really

Every day for the past two weeks I've thought, "Today I need to take time to blog about our new house." But we have yet to be completely settled and, with the new school year beginning this week, I am running around like a wild child every day, trying to get it all done. This morning I decided to slow my roll until church and just enjoy a relaxing morning. 

We moved in a little over two weeks ago and we have a never ending To-Do list that has us falling into bed, exhausted, every night. But it's a happy exhaustion. We are working as a team to complete projects. Rob is teaching P how to build a backyard fence. It's almost done so the dogs will be able to be outside all day instead of the mud room. (I even got to help dig holes for the fence posts!) P has also learned how to use the riding lawnmower so he gets paid to mow the lawn every week. E has spent the weekend pressure washing the driveway. Together, as a family, we helped the landscaper clear out and trim back the bushes in the front yard. Rob is constantly cleaning up areas and now has a big project to turn the dilapidated barn into a storage shed for our lawn equipment. He's also going to clear out the abandoned greenhouse so I can plant veggies this Winter.

Watching TV has always been a bone of contention between me and Rob. But, since moving here, I've actually had to tell him that maybe he should go sit down and watch TV. He's going to have neck surgery in the near future and pushes the limits daily with doing projects. We are so busy that the TV is only turned on for a very brief time before we all go to bed. That's the only thing I've missed since moving here- the family time at night, after dinner. But, once we get into a routine with the new school year, I'm sure we'll get back into that routine.

It's not that we haven't had family time. In between house projects, we make time to do fun things together. Last week we had dinner on the water and enjoyed a concert by an up and coming country artist. Yesterday we took the boys to the Wildlife Extravaganza. It hasn't been a Summer full of vacations but the boys still seem to be enjoying it. They ask to stay home all the time because they love our new house.

My favorite part of our house is our front porch. Yesterday Rob surprised me with a beautiful new porch swing since my other one was too big for our front porch. I've gotten in the habit of enjoying my morning coffee and devotions on the front porch every morning while the dogs run around and explore. That's my favorite part of the day and I am not looking forward to rushing that in the mornings now that school is about to start.

Speaking of rushing, I need to go get ready for church so I'm not rushing to get it done. 





No comments: