Saturday, January 7, 2023

Quiet Holiday Season...and a Happy New Year

December flew by. Usually it flies by because I jam pack it with as many Christmas festivities as possible. But this year we laid low. There were a couple Christmas parties, a quick look at Christmas lights and a beautiful Christmas Eve candlelight service. The boys and I also did a very quick, but comical "candy cane drop" where we put candy canes on people's car doors for them to find after shopping. (We watched one lady drive off with hers still on her door. Ha!)

When Christmas break started a few days before Christmas I decided that, although I would rather be traveling (albeit not on Southwest Airlines), it was more important for me to hang out with the boys and complete home improvement projects. So that's what I did. We enjoyed a low-key, special Christmas day together. Then P and Rob took off to our deer camp to hunt. E and I went a couple times to do the afternoon hunts. I only hunted one time by myself (on. New Years) and harvested a monster buck. I couldn't believe how I was at the right place at the right time!

I am a firm believer in celebrating birthdays more than on your actual birth day. So one day we went to Louisiana so E could celebrate his birthday with friends. Then, the day of his birthday, we met up with one of his school friends at a baseball facility. After hitting and catching, we went to get rolled ice cream and Boba tea (nasiest thing I've ever drank!) then his friend came to our house to play. We enjoyed a meal of E's choice- burgers on the grill, veggies of every kind and chocolate cake. 

In between appointments, batting lessons, meals with friends and everything in between I painted the shower/toilet section of our master bathroom (I'm bound and determined to get that area done so we can actually use it) and painted E's room. My only complaints about this house is that the floors are so loud (thanks to a floating foundation and having rambunctious boys) and how there's very limited natural light. So I painted E's hunter green room a light off white color to add some brightness. I love how it's turning out, even though it's been a longer process due to having to prime it first. I also did a few other minor projects, trying to make improvements as I can.

The best part of my break was my dr appt with my oncologist. After my examination, I was told that I am healed and released from her care!! I didn't realize how monumental that was until someone made a comment about it. It hit me that 2 months ago, at this time, I feared that I had ovarian cancer. Today I am no longer under an oncologist's care. I decided that P and I had to celebrate so we went out to sushi for lunch and then went on a shopping spree so P could use his gift cards. 

I have one more day off and then it's back to work. I love my job so I am looking forward to seeing my students. I am looking forward to the routine that comes with the break being over. But I am thankful for our low-key, productive break. I enjoyed my time with our boys, with Rob and with friends. I loved the memories and the relaxation. OK, maybe not a lot of relaxation but a lot of memories were created. And now I am looking forward to a great 2023 so we can create even more memories!








No comments: