Monday, August 4, 2014

No Title Needed

The reason why I've been MIA lately with this blog is not because we haven't been having fun (How can you not have fun when you're going to water parks, having sleepovers, getting ready for the new school year, having company over for dinner and canning until your little heart's content???) but because I've been surrounded by a dark cloud of cancer and death in recent months. Despite having fun, the dark cloud has consumed my thoughts and quite frankly, it's been hard to break free from it and blog about all the fun we truly are having.
I guess it started in 2003 when my Papa died and then my mom had major complications from surgery. But it climaxed when I laid in the same hospital room as my Nana while she took her last breath, losing her battle against breast cancer. As selfish as it sounds, I didn't want to be in there with her because I knew I wasn't strong enough to handle it. We were just waiting until the last visitor left so I could make a quiet exit myself. But it didn't work that way and I've had a hard time processing death ever since then. I internalize it. I cry when no one is around. I don't want to talk about it. I want to pretend it didn't happen. And I really don't want to hear people say, "I'm sorry". Everyone deals differently with death. My husband seems obsessed with death and seems to enjoy going to funerals. For me, I want to remember people as they were when they were healthy and not be part of the formal grieving process of attending a funeral.
Well, the past few months I've been dealing with it all. Earlier this year you may remember that I blogged about a former co-worker who lost her battle to cancer, leaving her 3 adolescent sons orphaned due to their dad being killed by a drunk driver. Then Ruby died unexpectedly in June, which has been a lot harder on me than I thought. She drove me absolutely batty but the things that I got frustrated with are the things I miss the most. I blame myself and Rob for her death and that's hard to deal with. I cry most every time we go to Bass Pro because of all the pictures of labs duck hunting. Then my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He had surgery for it a week and a half ago and we find out tomorrow if he's truly cancer free. I've been sitting on pins and needles, waiting for those results because I can't imagine my world if the biopsy doesn't come back benign. On Saturday night we got a call that some close friends back home were in a horrific car wreck on their way to their annual hunting trip. One of them had to be life flighted to Reno and, although I am so incredibly thankful that he's alive and not paralyzed, he has a long road ahead of him with recovering from a collapsed lung and broken bones in his neck, back, ribs and sternum. I was awake most of Saturday night, waiting to hear if Lee would pull through the night and be okay. Then a close college friend lost her battle against breast cancer last night. She leaves behind two young children and a husband who loved her more than I can express with mere words. It sucks. All of it. They say bad things happen in 3s but apparently my life didn't get the memo because I've had more than 3 in 2014.
The one redeeming thing is knowing that God is in charge of it all, even though I have more questions than answers. When my Nana died the family went out to eat after leaving the hospital. When we pulled up to the restaurant there was a double rainbow, something I had never seen before. Now it seems like, whenever someone close to me passes away, I see a double rainbow, a symbol of God's love and promises. Today was no exception. After it rained I felt compelled to go check if there was a rainbow and sure enough, directly in front of our house, was a beautiful double rainbow. I thought of my dear friend, Jen, and was reminded that she is no longer in pain, no longer suffering. I'm thankful for those simple reminders, a promise that, despite how it may seem at the time, life will get better.


No comments: