Friday, February 16, 2018

Mental Health vs Gun Control- ALL LIVES MATTER

Awe, you're pretty smart if you read the title and figured out that I'd be stepping onto my soapbox tonight. You know, there are only two things that will cause me to lie awake at night, worrying. Money and my family's safety. Since the title of this blog doesn't say a thing about money, then you know which topic I will be blogging about.
By now you know about the school shooting that took place in Florida this week. Call me callous or better yet, call me naïve, because I have not watched or read one news article about it. I can't. I cannot stomach hearing or reading in detail about another school shooting. I know the basics, all that I really need to know. I know that innocent lives were lost on a day that the students probably felt invincible when they awoke that morning. Social media is blowing up about what could have been done differently to prevent it, how gun control could have stopped it, how the shooter cried out multiple times for help to no avail because no one knows how to truly help those who suffer from mental illness. No matter where you stand on the issue, the sad reality is that school shootings are becoming too common. In fact, shootings in general, are becoming too common.
You want my thoughts on this? (If you don't then just stop reading here.) First and foremost, I believe that violence is becoming common because God is becoming "obsolete". It's easy to remove God from our schools, our government, our lives so to speak. But look at the results! We NEED God more than ever! Secondly, I think people have forgotten how to properly communicate. I do my best to actively (not look at my phone while they are talking) listen to the boys because I know that they need to feel they have a voice. If no one listens to them now, who will they be able to talk to when life gets hard? People send texts instead of discussing and resolving an issue in a logical manner. (I may have been guilty of this a few times in my life.) True communication is a thing of the past. No one makes time to talk...until it's too late. Thirdly, and my most controversial opinion, is that video games attribute to our spike in violence because a) it offers instant gratification and b) it glorifies killing someone who gets in your way. Now do I think all kids who play video games will become murderers? NO!!! But, sadly, for some it's the only life they know. They don't know how to play outside or use their imagination. They don't know how to play with others- working as a team or disagreeing about how to play a game/learning how to resolve the disagreement.
What people don't get is that, in most cases, issues that come out later in life began when the person was a minor. Communication takes daily practice. I am constantly coaching the boys on how they can talk to someone if they have an issue with them, how they can resolve the issue at hand in a positive way. Because I know that they will need that skill throughout life. Hopefully they also learn the skill of how to befriend people, how to be a good listener and hear more than just what the person is saying. Having someone on your side goes a long way! Our young people need that because, right now, I fear for the future of America.
I fear driving down the road because of road rage. I fear my boys going to middle school/high school. I fear that our little city is projected to double in population within the next 10 years (More people usually means more violence). I truly and honestly fear for our boys' lives as they get older. So I hope and PRAY that I am wrong. I PRAY that America does a complete turn around and turns back TOWARD God. Because if that doesn't happen my fears will most likely be justified. And that's something I will really be worried about!

No comments: