Monday, May 21, 2018

End of Year Blues

P and I love listening to the Friday Dance Party on the way to school each week. It's our thing. This past Friday I pulled up in the carpool line and dared him to "floss" (A new dance craze for all of you unaware of the latest trends. It does not require real dental floss nor teeth.). He did the dance and I was laughing hysterically as one of the teachers joined in on the fun. But, as I was pulling away it hit me that that was the last Friday I would ever pull up to that specific school to drop P off during the Friday Morning Dance Party. The last Friday that Ms. Wendy will say hi to "Peyton" and join the dance party. And I teared up.
Usually I look forward to the end of the school year. I usually count down the days. Not this year. I am actually dreading it. Because it means two things. It means that E will no longer be a "baby". He will be in "big kid" school, where he'll be going full days (something he'll struggle with). And...P will be transferring to a new school.
Usually I am good with change. But this time I'm not. I love his current school. I love the teachers, the staff, the daily bell schedule. I love it all. I know the new school he is going to next year is as good or better (from what people tell me). But I'm still struggling with P going to a new school.
Tomorrow, on his last day at his current school, we will both be fighting back tears. When he is called forward to receive his awards, I won't embarrass him by shedding any tears. But I can't make any guarantees as I pull away from his school for the last time tomorrow. Tomorrow is the start of all new beginnings.....

No comments: