Tuesday, June 12, 2018

10 years

Hard to believe that in two days we will be married 10 years! To celebrate, we spent several days in the Ozarks. My parents graciously took the boys back with them for the week and Rob and I drove a million miles (maybe a LITTLE less) to enjoy time together. Our first stop was the Branson/Springfield area where we went to the Bass Pro Headquarters. From there we headed down south a little to Eureka Springs, where we spent the rest of our time at a cute little cottage/treehouse "resort". The place went above and beyond to make our anniversary stay with them a personalized one. A "Happy Anniversary" sign hung in the corner of the room. A snack basket and personal note was waiting for us when we arrived. If you ever find yourself in the Eureka Springs area, we highly recommend staying at the Oak Cottages/Treehouses.
Our trips usually take on a "theme" and this one was no different. But, I can't decide if the theme was "Fire Towers", "Myrtie Mae" or "Dodging Wildlife". In the small town of Eureka Springs, there are three 100 foot fire towers. (Well, one may have been 50 ft.) We climbed all of them. One of them we went on a 4 mile hike to get to. And one of them we went up twice. One of them we paid to go up but the gate wouldn't open for Rob so he had to climb the fence to access the fire tower staircase. All of them provided a beautiful scenic view. Myrtie Mae was another favorite of ours. It was a great little restaurant that we went to every morning, except for this morning (and only because they weren't open when we left town). Our waitress for two of the mornings is a sweet elderly lady that has been working there since 1975! The last theme, "Dodging Wildlife" started on our way up to Branson when a cute little deer tried to write his own death sentence by running in front of our car. Thankfully, Rob was driving and he was able to spare the deer's life...and my car. One of the days we were there we went kayaking. I have always been fearful of snakes but in recent years it has gotten worse. I fear them the most when I'm in the water. So, needless to say, I was scared of tipping over in the kayak and being bit by a snake. Rob assured me- more than once- that the water we were in was too cold for snakes. But, about a mile up the river, right in front of us, we watched as a guy got bit by a water snake. I was in shock and Rob couldn't believe the odds that it had taken place right in front of us. The third time we dodged wildlife wasn't at traumatic. A little red fox ran out in front of my car and once again Rob was able to dodge it, sparing its life.
The main reason that we were in Eureka Springs was because Rob has wanted to take me to see the Great Passion Play since we moved here. I am so glad that we saw it. It's another thing I recommend if you're in the Eureka Springs area. It's not that expensive and it is well put together, a very powerful performance!
I loved everything we did but two of my favorite things were kind of last minute. First I discovered this breath-taking little chapel about a mile from where we were staying. I wish I would've found it earlier so we could've gone to church there Sunday. It was so peaceful and reverent. I could spend a lot of quiet time there. Another thing I loved was a trail ride we went on our last day there. I got this big, sweet, gentle old gelding named Casper. I have never been so comfortable on the back of a horse, even when he was trotting up the hills. I am so glad I put my anxiety behind me so I could enjoy horseback riding through the Ozarks.
Between the hike, the fire towers, the delicious food (other than the buffet at the Great Passion Play, which I do NOT recommend to anyone), the cottage, kayaking and horseback riding it was the perfect way to spend our 10 year anniversary! The hills and wildflowers were endless. The scenery was beyond gorgeous. It was the perfect backdrop for both adventures and relaxation. We created fun memories to last a lifetime!















                                    



Thorncrown Chapel


No comments: