Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Strong

Sometimes being a parent means you have to be strong even when you don't think you can. It means putting on a brave face to calm your children's fears/concerns. Today I had to be that parent. The boys are currently 30k feet up in the sky, flying to Cali with my parents. It's the first time we've been away from them for more than a few days and definitely the furthest we've ever been away from them. So it's natural to feel lost, out of control, even a tad lonely. I am used to the boys being within a few hundred yards of me. We do everything together over the Summer.
But not for the next week. You know what got me through the goodbyes this morning? Knowing they were in good hands....and modern technology.
My mom told me that I flew with my aunt to see my grandparents when I was E's age. But back then there wasn't cell phones, Internet, FaceTime or texting (gasp!!). I don't know how my parents did it. In the two hours I have been away from the boys, I have received several texts and can tell you exactly where they are up in the sky at this very minute thanks to modern technology. But my parents didn't have that way back when I made the same type of trip our boys are currently on. They just had to be strong- and pray- because sometimes that's all a parent can do.

No comments: