Friday, September 14, 2018

Theme Song(s)

Sometimes songs get stuck in my head. I wake up singing them. I go through the day singing them. I fall asleep thinking about them. I wake up in the middle of the night with the lyrics spinning through my mind. I think the reason my current song of choice, "Life Changes" by Thomas Rhett, has a permanent playlist in my head is because it coincides with real life at the moment.
I'm a "plammer". I have things written on the calendar months in advance. I make lists on my phone and around the house of different things, activities for the boys, vacations, etc. But, one thing I have really been working on in recent years is being more flexible. I'm learning to enjoy the moment instead of having it planned to a "T". I am learning that plans can change and life will keep on keeping on even if everything gets changed around.
I am also learning that, although we have not perfected it yet, Rob and I have really got this teamwork thing working for us. We make a busy life, with two active boys and two demanding jobs, happen with the support of each other. Because, "Life's a dance. You learn as you go....." (John Michael Montgomery) in case you're wondering.) We communicate and formulate plans on how to get everything done.
So that's why I'm working on the "being flexible" part of life right now. Rob is currently supervising crews on storm work, which threw a wrench in this weekend and next weekend's plans. This weekend he was going to hang out with the boys at E's soccer game and a birthday party while I hosted a baby shower. Next weekend we were all excited about camping at a luxury RV resort. Since we haven't camped since moving here, I think I was looking forward to it the most. But, you know what? Life changes and plans have to be rearranged. I have to ask for help and be ok with it. I'm not going to pretend to have it all together because I've been spoiled in recent years, having Rob around all the time. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not just a tad stressed out about this weekend or more than a little disappointed that we won't be camping next weekend. But it's not the end of the world. I am happy that Rob can help people in a time of need. I am happy that we have two awesome boys who step up to the plate when Daddy is gone to help me out. I am happy that I have inlaws who will help with the boys this weekend. I am happy that the RV resort will still be around when Rob gets back and we can go camping as a family once things get back to normal. I am happy that we've got friends here who check in on me and Rob, asking if they can help. I am happy that life changes. Ok, maybe that is a stretch. But at least I am happy that I've learned how to be flexible when life changes.

"Ain't it funny how life changes
You wake up, ain't nothing the same and life changes
You can't stop it, just hop on the train and
You never know what's gonna happen
You make your plans and you hear God laughing
Life changes and I wouldn't change it for the world...."

No comments: