Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Alone Time

I have wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember. At one point, in my twenties, I was told that I would most likely not be able to have kids. I remember calling my mom as I was leaving the surgeon's office, bawling my eyes out because of that possibility.
Now that I have two wonderful boys, I love spending every minute with them. Weekends are my favorite because we lounge around, cuddle, explore new things, go for walks, watch family movies. All my life I've dreamt of being a mom, doing these things. That's why I can't understand when parents choose to be away from their child(ren) often (I am not talking about divorce or a job situation). I'm not judging. I just don't understand because, with my boys, is my favorite place to be.
That being said, Rob took the boys to deer camp last weekend. And I'll be honest. I cherished my alone time. I went to dinner with one friend, not worrying about getting home in time to say goodnight to the boys. The next day I spent the day doing a 15 mile garage sale with a different friend and it was nice not having to worry if I was affecting anyone else's schedule. I fell asleep on the couch one night, drank hot coffee in a quiet house both mornings, got to watch what I wanted (and I can guarantee it wasn't PJ Masks, Paw Patrol, Dude Perfect or any of the Sharer brothers) at the volume I wanted. It was nice and I felt refreshed by the time the boys got home Sunday afternoon.
Would I want to have an "alone weekend" more than once every few months? Probably not. I love my time with my boys way too much. But, once in a blue moon, it's nice to recharge, live a weekend in relative silence, be on my own agenda. Because in the long run, I think that alone time helps me be a better mom- a goal I'm always striving for!

No comments: