Friday, November 23, 2018

Bucket List Living

The other day, during my run, I listened to Andy Grammar's "The Good Parts", which got me thinking about life. In 8 days I will be running my second 10k. I have also run three 1/2 marathons (in three different states with three different friends) and a dozen or so 5ks. I have traveled to 27 states, 4 continents, and 8 countries. I have sat next to one of the closest people in my life while she took her last breath and have lost young friends to cancer. But I have also brought two lives into this world. I have hiked, snowboarded, wakeboarded, boogie boarded, snowshoed, skateboarded, and rode dirt bikes. I have ridden horses and sat on a camel's back. I have read hundreds of (if not 1000+) books. I have been to Disneyland and Disneyworld. I have seen the Pacific and the Atlantic. I have floated in the Red Sea and was baptized in the Jordon River. I have come in close proximity to elk, deer, antelope, bears, coyotes. I have owned houses and rented apartments. I have played on soccer, football, and softball teams. I have been at the top of the ladder for jobs and have been the low man on the totem pole. I have been an employer and an employee. I have had jobs that I have loved and jobs that I tolerate to pay the bills. I have lived in 3 different states, in suburban and rural areas.
I have never, and probably will never, create a bucket list. But I try to live life to the fullest. I don't live with regrets but if God offered a "Rewind" button, there are certain times in my life I would push it and have a do over. There are also times I would like a "Pause" button because I want to cherish certain moments. I want to keep our boys young because I can't imagine life once they move away. There are still places I would like to see- Alaska, Hawaii, the Carolinas, Australia and Ireland. But if I never get to see them, that's ok. I have seen more of the world than most people ever will. In fact, if I died tomorrow, I would know I have lived my best life. I don't have a bucket list but I sure have experienced a lot in my 43 years on this Earth and I am thankful for all of it.

No comments: