Sunday, January 30, 2022

Shaming

 I know....3 posts in one day?? Say it ain't so!! This one won't be long just a "food for thought" blog so when I'm older or the boys go back and read these blogs, this time in our history will be something to learn from...hopefully.

I don't know what made me think this. Maybe something on the radio or something I read in People magazine? I don't remember but today I've thought a lot about how easy it has become for our society to play the "shame game". I don't remember when "Cancel Culture" or the "shame game" began. My guess is probably 2020 because that's when everything went down.

But I started thinking about everything that people shame each other about. People are shamed if they don't vote for a certain candidate. They are shamed if they don't get the Covid vaccination. They are shamed if they listen to or watch a certain artist or watch a certain sport if there's a political/racial stance involved. They are shamed for living in a certain state or going to a certain church.

Why? Why is this necessary? I have long since learned in my 40+ years on this Earth that people will disagree with you. I started typing out details about people I am close to that support or don't support certain things and why, but this is not their thoughts so there's no need to throw them under the bus. What I can say is that the world would be boring if we all agreed on everything. It is not someone else's right to shame you if they don't agree. As my mom has told me more times than I can count, "We can disagree and disagree agreeably." Please people, don't shame others because they have different views than you. Simply appreciate that they are their own person, with their own moral compass, with their own mind that can form their own opinions....and move on. Life is too short to spend it worrying about what other people do/say and shaming them if they don't agree with you so move on. You'll be much happier. I guarantee it.

No comments: