Monday, April 7, 2014

Where There's a Will....

I have a list of blogs I want to write but never get around to it. Since I only have time for one I thought I'd write one to entertain you.
My parents have instilled in me the belief, "Where there's a will, there's a way." This concept often impresses my inlaws and husband, especially when it comes to getting things for cheap (or free). I take great delight in not only getting my way with businesses but saving money. This one is by far my favorite to date.......
Last week Rob asked if I wanted to go to a local Jamey Johnson concert, a musician we've wanted to see in concert for a few years now. I got our babysitter lined up and was excited about our date night...until I found out that the concert was sold out. That's when I went into "creative mode". I, of course, looked on Craigslist and was too late to buy the only tickets that were posted for sale. So Saturday morning I called one of the local country radio stations to see if they had extra tickets lying around. A nice gentleman that I spoke with said that they had had front row tickets that hadn't been picked up...until an hour ago. I was devastated but still wasn't willing to give up hope. Rob asked if I just wanted to go to dinner and a movie since we had the babysitter coming over but at that point I had my heart set on the concert. I told him I wanted to go to the resort where the concert was being held and see if anyone was scalping tickets. When we got there I immediately spotted Jamey's RV and trailer, making it my mission to go ask him personally for tickets if need be. Rob and I walked all over the resort, talking to employees and begging (OK, I begged. He stood back and watched) for tickets that hadn't been picked up at Will Call. We walked out front and I told Rob I was going to head over to the RV to talk to Jamey. Rob looked at me like, "Really? You're seriously going to do that?" but he knows me well enough to know that when I put my mind to something I can be pretty stubborn. As I started walking over there, a security guard was walking our way. I stopped him and asked him about tickets. He said that the band was already on stage, doing a sound check. At this point I thought about giving up but we were so close. To make a long story short, I coerced an older lady into trying to get tickets for us once she was inside. A resort employee saw me standing alone, waiting for the lady to return in hopes of having tickets for us (Rob was downstairs, trying to find people to give up their tickets), looking dejected. When she approached me I told her about how we wanted to see the concert so bad (I added all kinds of detail for sympathy). She started texting someone on her phone and then told me to wait right where I was. I called Rob and told him to come upstairs because I had a feeling this lady was going to make it happen. And sure enough she did!! Not only did she give us complimentary tickets, but THEY WERE 9 ROWS FROM THE FRONT, CENTER STAGE!!! Did I mention they were free?? The show was awesome and to top it all off I got to shake Jamey Johnson's hand at the end of the concert! It officially goes down in the books as one of the best date nights we've ever had and it'll be hard to top it!


No comments: