Friday, April 25, 2014

Lots of Happenings

OK, time for my weekly catch up time......

I recently read an article about how parent's childhood insecurities come out when their child is on a sports team and I couldn't agree more. A week ago P started T-ball, his first organized team sport. He walked up to the practice, eager to play. To him I'm sure it was a fun time of learning and playing ball with boys his age. For me it was terrifying. I immediately noticed that he wasn't dressed like any of the other boys. He had light up tennis shoes on instead of cleats, jean shorts on instead of lightweight nylon shorts like the rest of the boys. Rob immediately noticed that he struggled with throwing the ball correctly, using his glove for something other than a hat and had no clue as to how to hold a bat. In short, it was mortifying for both of us but for different reasons. I didn't want P to be the kid that got made fun of because I was that kid. Sports has never been my thing so after awhile I just stopped trying. I never fit in in more ways than one and I prayed that wouldn't happen to P. BUT, in one short week he has made remarkable progress!! He now proudly wears a baseball uniform to every practice, knows how to hold a bat (We're still figuring out if he's a left or right handed batter though), can kind of stop a grounder and is no longer the player that needs the most assistance. I think that, with more practice, he'll be able to hold his own once the games begin. It's fun to watch him enjoy baseball, so eager for practices.


 
*********************************************************************************
 
Last Sunday we had the privilege of celebrating Jesus' resurrection and oh what a glorious event it was!! My day started at 5:15 am at which time I awoke to get ready for our sunrise service. The choir, which I'm a new member of, sang a beautiful acapella (sp?) song during the service as the sun rose behind the train station. After the service I rushed home to do Easter baskets with the boys before our regular church service. Both boys received fishing rods so they were thrilled. Easton hasn't learned that his is a toy that won't do anything. He proudly takes his rod over to the pond, "casting" his line into the pond. P has yet to catch a fish with his new rod but I also have to remind myself that he's 4 and has a limited attention span.
During our church service we sang a couple more specials, each one powerful in its own way. I felt the Lord's presence in the service, something I haven't felt in awhile. After yet another beautiful service, the kids had an egg hunt. The boys had fun grabbing eggs and Easton was thrilled to discover candy in them! He'd grab an egg, shake it and then toddle over to me as fast as his legs would carry him so I could open his egg for him and show him his treat. As soon as he saw it was candy he'd devour it! It was such a fun, special Easter for me. One of the best I've had in recent years!
 



 
*****************************************************************************
 
My parents have tried to get me to enjoy fishing as much as they do for years. They've tried every trick in the book to no avail. I'm not a "sit around" kinda gal so casting a line in the water and sitting there for hours, waiting for a bite, is not my idea of fun. When we moved here, Rob showed me a different way to fish in which you're constantly moving. I'm not the fisherman that Rob is so catching fish doesn't come easily for me. But the other morning P and I decided to go fishing for a few minutes. Rob had just put a new bait/lure/whatever it's called on my line the night before and had told me how to use it. I'm always leery of fishing when Rob isn't home because I'm afraid I might actually catch something. Well, lo and behold, when I casted my line out I felt it hit something. I waited like Rob has instructed me and then jerked hard. I felt a BIG pull and knew I had the little booger. I squealed as I brought it in, eager to see how big it was. When I finally got him up on land  realized I had a problem. First of all I knew that this bass was a "keeper". Second, Rob was not around and I refuse to touch a live fish. That's when I got creative and used child labor to get the fish taken care of. I left the fish on the pole and carried my pole as far as I could before I thought it'd snap in two. Then I called Rob and he told me to grab the pliers so I could take the hook out of the fish's mouth. I told P to step on the fish as hard as he could because I didn't want it flopping around. I struggled with the hook so I told him to step even harder while I repositioned myself and the pliers. I finally got the hook out and then instructed P to throw it in the cooler full of ice. He asked me how to do it and I told him he could do it however he needed to as long as it got in the cooler. He grabbed it like a pro and flung it into the cooler where I promptly closed the lid in fear of the fish getting out. We carried the cooler back to the house and I monitored the ice level all day, until Rob got home, because I wasn't going to have this prize fish go bad on my watch. When Rob got home he said he'd guess the fish to be about 3lbs. I got to eat it for dinner and, in my opinion, it was the best fish I'd ever ate. Rob doctored it up with butter, lemon and garlic and I threw it on the grill~ just the way I like it. I don't know what I'm more proud of.......catching my first big bass or never once having to touch the disgusting thing!!!!
 
***Don't mind my 80s hair. It was a humid morning!***
 
 

 

No comments: