Thursday, November 6, 2014

Camel Poop and Double Standards

Well, usually I do a day of gratitude every day in November but apparently no one misses it because no one has said anything. And quite frankly I have my plate full between my part time job, photo shoots every weekend this month, choir practice, Bible study, helping in P's classroom and chasing an (almost) 2 yr old around all day. So, I'll just keep plugging along with blogs like usual, writing them far less than I think about them.

My first one.....double standard parenting. Growing up I always complained that my parents treated me different than my brother. They denied it but, as a parent, I am here to tell you the truth. It does exist. Whether it's because of gender or birth order or you're just too plain tired when the 2nd or 3rd or....child comes around that you don't live up to the parenting standards of your first child. Maybe it's because you gave so much to your first child that you compensate for it in other ways with the other child(ren). Whatever it may be I realized I was guilty of it on Halloween night. When my (almost) 2 year old was trick or treating with candy in his mouth the entire time. I would've never allowed his older son to eat that much candy in one evening! Since then I've become more aware of my double standard parenting almost daily. Mostly when it comes to food. But it is what it is and I'm ok with it. When the boys are older, I won't deny my double standard parenting. But hopefully I'll be able to come up with a good reason for it before they start questioning why.

We have started the dreaded phase of toddlerhood...potty training. I absolutely love teaching my boys new things. Except potty training. Rob far outweighs me in his ability to get the boys potty trained. I get frustrated when I don't see consistent results immediately (one of my downfalls in so many areas of life) so I give up. Then I start again a couple weeks later. Yada. yada. yada. Needless to say I'm slowing introducing it by giving him opportunities throughout the day to use his "big boy potty" and by reading him potty books. For some reason, both of my boys have loved the book, "Everyone Poops!" (I'm not gonna lie. I love it too.) One of our favorite pages is, "A one hump camel poops a one hump poop and a two hump camel makes a two hump poop." Well, in our housing endeavors we've always lived by unique wildlife....wild mustangs, bear, llamas, camels... We currently are neighbors with a camel. When we drove by its property the other day I said, "Look boys. A one hump camel." to which E replied, "A poop." The highlight of my day right there. He may not consistently use his potty at the moment but he's getting the concept that every living thing does indeed poop. Between that and my oldest son learning how to do "armpit farts" I am one proud mama!

OK, ok, I'd love to write more but alas the carpool lane will begin moving momentarily. I started this blog before lunch, worked on it during E's nap and am now calling it a done deal in the carpool lane. Ah, the life of a SAHM!

No comments: