Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Celebrating 7 years

7 years ago Sunday I became Mrs. Herrington. In years past, we've taken turns planning our anniversary celebration but this year we weren't sure the weather would cooperate. So we took the boat to a local river and enjoyed hours on the peaceful water. We tried to drive the boat to one of our favorite restaurants on an adjoining lake but I got "seasick" so we turned back around. After the time on the river we drove to the restaurant. Then we ran back to the house long enough to clean up before going shopping (The 2nd time I've gotten my husband to go in a mall with me in the past 8 years we've known each other!) and ending the evening at the movies (Public announcement: don't go see "Aloha". Although it's a clean movie, it is horribly written). We exchanged gifts but I told him the best gift he gave me was spending the weekend with me (and the boys on our actual anniversary) instead of working. I cherish our dates and wished they happened more regularly. Sunday, thanks to some friends, we had a family anniversary date to Rob's favorite restaurant. It was such a perfect weekend!
I'd love to say our 7 years of marriage has been just as perfect as our anniversary weekend but that would be impossible with 2 imperfect people living under the same roof, trying to raise 2 young human beings to the best of our ability. We have a lot of fun times together but we also have our share of disagreements. But through it all we've learned a lot about ourselves and how to make a marriage work. There have been times I've wanted to throw in the towel but, thankfully, my husband has stuck it out, willing us to work on whatever the issue was at hand. I'm glad I have someone who takes his wedding vows seriously, someone who knows it's not always going to be perfect and/or easy but that our marriage is worth fighting for when push comes to shove. I'm blessed to be married to Rob and to walk through life with him.

No comments: