Friday, May 6, 2016

Motherhood

I confess. I have a guilty pleasure. I look forward to Saturday's mail because that's when my weekly People magazine comes. Saturday night is "me" time- just my People magazine and a hot bubble bath. I was recently reading People's "World's Most Beautiful Women" (by Hollywood standards of course) edition. I was pleasantly surprised to read the section about most meaningful compliments these beautiful women have received. Almost all of them said that the best compliment they've received is something in regards to their parenting or how well their kids behave. It made me stop and think, I mean really think. It's so true. Someone can tell me I look pretty or that I'm nice or thoughtful but it doesn't mean half as much as when someone gives me a compliment about my boys.
Recently P decided to take his Bible to school to read during a rainy day recess. He said that he had a crowd around him, asking about things in the Bible. It gave him a chance to witness to his classmates. I posted it on FB to brag about HIS willingness to share about his faith. Instead, quite a few people wrote comments about what a good mom I am because he feels comfortable doing that. That was not my intent in posting that, but the compliments made me feel good. It made me realize that, if both of our boys serve the Lord all their lives and truly live for Him, then Rob and I have done a great job as parents. Very little else will matter to me as a mom. We have lifelong jobs as parents to teach and model for our sons, to sacrifice and love them unconditionally.
I guess that's why the latest fad of "Me-ternity" frustrates me. If you haven't heard about it, women are fighting for a leave of absence from their job even though they haven't given birth or adopted a newborn. It's selfish is what it is. Maternity leave is because it gives you a chance to bond with your baby without worrying about a work schedule. It means many sleepless nights and showerless days. It means learning a whole new routine/schedule based on your baby's needs. It's not a time to go to the spa all day, get your nails done, have coffee with the girls for hours or go on shopping sprees. It's not about "me" but about the baby and his/her needs.
Motherhood is a journey, the most important job in life. It's not for everyone and I respect women who do not bring children into the world if they don't want to raise them. But, for those of us who choose to be mothers the rest of our lives, my hat's off. Thank you for being selfless, for being patient even when you're tired, for giving of yourself when you have nothing left to give, for putting others before yourself, for loving and teaching and being constant role models. This Sunday, I hope you enjoy your Mother's Day and are told how much you are loved and appreciated. Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful moms reading this!


No comments: