Sunday, June 12, 2016

8 Years...WHAT??!

In 2 days we will be celebrating our 8th anniversary, the second anniversary that I'm truly happy to be celebrating. Let's back up to the beginning. I've always loved reading romance novels. I love how cheesy they are and how they are my escape from reality. But when I met Rob I thought he was just like one of the characters in my beloved books. He wrote me long love letters, compiled CDs filled with love songs, sent me roses every month, bought me anything and everything. I had seen friends with marital problems but I knew that we'd be different. And we were....until our 2nd anniversary. Right after it, we celebrated P's 2nd birthday. I remember being so mad at Rob the day of P's birthday party that I thought I could spit nails. But now, 6 years later, I realized that we both handled the situation/the day in general wrong. It's a day I think of often, knowing I have learned so much since then. The funny thing is that around every anniversary something goes south with us....either literally or figuratively. Every year I stand in the card aisle, struggling to find an anniversary card that conveys what I'm feeling. This year is not like that. This year will be easy because, although this year has been a struggle (see the post below for more details), it's also been such a growing year. The change, other than putting God first? We've learned how to communicate better than we ever have. Instead of arguing, we discuss. We let the other into our day, our life. So this year I am beyond thrilled to celebrate our love, celebrate our growth, celebrate our learning experiences throughout our marriage, celebrate that God has blessed us in so many ways!
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the other anniversary I was excited for was our 1st one. Rob went above and beyond to make it special. But I have no doubt that this one will be even more special because of all that it means, all that we're celebrating.




No comments: