Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Lessons From a Run

This morning I went for a short run, not long enough to really get deep into thought. But a few things  ran through my head (get it??) while my feet pounded the pavement. I don't know if or how many more half marathons I'll be able to do. I'd love to be like that 92 year old women who just made the record for being the oldest person to run a half. But the arthritis in my hip really bothers me, whether I run 1 mile or 13. A few things that make any run easier for me, though, is music, my boys and the weather. For some reason my Pandora wasn't working today so I was stuck listening to Rob's Bone Collector CD (How did that end up on every iPhone we own??). I noticed that the music really slowed down my time, like 45 per mile slower, because of the slower rhythm. Another thing I noticed is that I no longer like running hills. I used to love them because they provided a challenge. Now I loathe them, mainly because I'm out of shape and because of my hip. I noticed that my optimal running weather is sunny and about 65 degrees. Oh, and includes NO humidity! The last thing I noticed is that "bad" music (no offense, Hun) slows me down, but my boys help my time. I picked them up to accompany me on my last half mile. They rode their scooters so running next to them really helped me better my time. I hope I can keep running for many years to come, whether it's 1 mile or 13 miles. I've come to love running and love the stress relief it provides. I also love that it gives me a chance to ponder life, to make life applications, learn lessons and spend time outside with my boys!

No comments: