Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Cancer Sucks

I toyed with writing this blog because I don't want to sound insensitive or offend anyone. That is not my intent. My intent is to inform you that cancer sucks. Big time. A week ago today we got word that our 34 year old friend passed away due to cancer. This morning I woke up to find out, on social media, that a lady I had taught with passed away due to cancer. I can't say that I was good friends with either of the gals. I didn't have a phone full of selfies with them or their phone numbers programmed into my phone. I didn't have long talks with them on a regular basis, knowing all the minute details of their lives. But I was friends with them and struggle with the fact that, in a world full of nut jobs, two strong, intelligent, sweet, beautiful women died.
Our friend, Jessica, had a large 34th birthday party a month ago. We were honored to be invited and cherished the time with her friends and family. We knew the end of her life was near, which made it bittersweet. I cried when we sang "Happy Birthday" to her and laughed when I watched her (mightily) blow out the candles on all three of her cakes. And then she hung on and fought for more days than her oncologist said she'd have. She taught me how to die with dignity and grace, how to laugh and find the good in the midst of the bad and ugly. Although we didn't talk often and never talked about anything "deep", her presence at my inlaws' neighborhood functions will be missed.
My former co-worker was one that I strived to be more like. She had such an infectious laugh that carried across campus. The last time I saw Carla she informed me that she was going to leave education because her dream was to work in a nursing home, taking care of the older generation. I have no doubt that she excelled at her job because she brought joy and laughter to everyone who knew her. Even on her bad days, she still wore a smile on her face. She found the joy in life. She was one who truly lived each day to its fullest.
A good friend made a comment last week that I thought was fitting. She said that Jessica had won her battle against cancer because she was no longer in its grips, no longer suffering. For us, here on Earth, who have a friend or loved one who has passed on due to cancer are the ones who suffer. But the person who fought the good fight against it has won. Thank you for being an inspiration to so many, Jessica and Carla!

No comments: