Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Jumbled Thoughts

Since it's been a few weeks since I've blogged, I have a few things to blog about. Part of the blog will be reflective and part of it will be giving you a life update. Let's get the heavy stuff out of the way first....
I have always been the one the boys turn to for everything. That is up until a year or so ago. Around the time E turned 4 he became a big time Daddy's boy. He goes to him to cuddle, to play with, to comfort, to discuss hunting and fishing, to ask advice from (as much as a preschooler can ask for advice). In his eyes, his daddy can do no wrong. E idolizes him and, if I'm being completely honest, I've struggled to deal with that at times. I've gotten my feelings hurt a time or two when E chooses Rob over me. But then I realize how blessed the boys are to have Rob as their dad. The other night, P and I were discussing how Rob and I were different with parenting. I had to remind him that Rob is the one who wrestles with the boys, plays football with them, swims with them in the Summer, plays tag with them...indoors!, takes them out on the boat any time they want to go. After talking to P about all the fun things Rob does with the boys, I spent a lot of time in thought about our conversation. About he and I make a good team. I am the one who takes them on adventures, does crafts with them, lets them help me in the kitchen, reads to them, the ones who takes care of their every day needs. But Rob shows them (and teaches them about) hard work, plays with them, gets down to their level, holds them on his lap when they just want to be still. We balance each other with our strengths and the boys benefit from it.


I have a lot of strong points, but slowing down and enjoying the moments in life is not one of them. And, although I am not big on New Years resolutions, I am trying them this year. I have a list of 4 of them taped to my bathroom mirror to hold me accountable. One resolution that I don't have written down (until now) is to slow down and not let a "To-Do" list dictate my life. Fortunately, God is helping me with this one. We have had, hands down, the coldest Winter I've experienced here and probably the coldest one LA has experienced in the past century. We have been housebound a lot for the past 4-6 weeks, which has helped me to slow down. I create To-Do lists when I feel like it but if I don't get to it, I don't beat myself up about it. I read stories to the boys when they ask. I help them built forts out of cardboard boxes. I take walks with them (when the weather is above a "Feels like 1 degree" temp). I am trying really hard to just be in the moment. I am trying not to stress about the little things. If I want to read a book or take a nap or work out, I do. I guess I am being more selfish with my time, but after always being a people pleaser, I am okay with taking time to enjoy life for myself and with my family.
The Winter Wonderland we woke up to this morning- more ice than snow but still pretty

Although his birthday was in December, we celebrated E's 5th birthday a couple weeks ago. It warmed up just enough for it to be enjoyable outside. Because we were hosting his party at the house, we rented a bounce house for the kids to enjoy. That was the only thing we cared to have at his party. Well, that and a hunting theme cookie cake. The little introvert that he is, he loved playing on his bounce house, knowing his friends were at the house, but not feeling the need to play with them. He wore himself out, having a blast. We are so thankful that God has blessed us with him in our lives. He and I butt heads regularly but I am thankful for his quick wit, intelligence, stubbornness (some days), his compassionate heart and his adventurous spirit. I can't wait to see how God uses his life as he continues to grow up!



No comments: