Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017

New Year's is not my favorite holiday. In fact, it's far from it. (It's a close 2nd to Thanksgiving.) But, since we don't really celebrate it, it gives me a chance to reflect on the year that's ending. With only a few hours left of 2017, I have spent the past few hours thinking back on all the GOOD 2017 has brought to us through God's blessings.
2017 started with us buying our second house! After much frustration and heartache with a couple other houses, we realized it was worth it because this house has become our home. We have been able to use it for BBQs, dinner parties, pool parties, house guests, sleepovers and play dates. I love our neighborhood and even feel like we like in the country with all the perks of living in a city.
E started sports this year! He was only old enough to play soccer but he thoroughly enjoyed both seasons that he played. His best friend was on his team and, together, they became the dynamic duo. I don't know why I am surprised, but I was amazed by his athletic skill every time I watch him play. Now that he's 5 (give me a sec while I shed a few tears over that!), he is excited to add T-ball and football to his repertoire. He's going to be our all American athlete I'm sure.
In April I took a girls' trip to Nashville to compete in a half marathon. Not that I am a pro marathon runner by any stretch of the imagination. But, that was by far the worst marathon experience I have ever had! I am grateful to say I finished it on my own accord because several dozen runners couldn't say that. Nonetheless, it was a fun get away in a new town with a good friend. So, all in all, it was a memorable experience.
In May, P finished the school year earning 5 different academic awards! His craving to learn anything and everything astonishes me. He always has his nose in a book and remembers information like my mom. In May, I finished my first school year as a high school teacher and I have to say that I loved it a lot more than I thought I would! The boys and I ended the month in Cali, where we spent a couple weeks visiting my parents. One of my best friends got married so I was thrilled beyond belief to attend her wedding.
We had a super busy Summer! In fact, it was by far the busiest Summer we've ever had. Between friends coming over to swim, day trips and weekend get aways, I don't recall having one single day where we sat around with nothing to do.
School started and E got bumped up to preschool. Although he LOVES his teacher and friends, he doesn't like school per se. I don't think he's ever going to love it the way his big brother does. In fact, every morning he wakes up and asks, "Is today Friday?" because he knows that Friday at 1pm means no school for 2 days. Ha! But, regardless, I'm impressed with how much he's learning.
One of my nearest and dearest friends came for a visit from AZ in September. She and I snuck away to a beach side condo for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our time together. We laughed til our sides hurt and ate until our stomachs ached. It was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time!
Fall brought the busy time of the year for us. Between P's football schedule, hunting season, choir practice for our Christmas performance, photo sessions and school obligations I felt like we were in a continual juggling act with our time. But you know? I wouldn't change it for the world!
My parents surprised us by coming to us for Thanksgiving this year. It's the first time in almost 4 years that they've come for a visit and we loved their time with us! The boys loved showing them what we do here for fun and I loved having them meet our friends so they could put names and faces together. This may sound weird/gross to you but one of my favorite things my mom and I do are nightly foot rubs. So I loved our foot rubs/Hallmark movie nights and all the memories we created while they were here!
After mid December, our lives slowed down considerably. We didn't host Christmas at our house so it was just the 4 of us for the first time ever. Then Rob took off to camp so it's been just me and the boys most days. It's been cold and gloomy so we've used this break to stay close to home and rejuvenate. E and I have been fighting sinus infections so I think our bodies (and minds) needed this down time.
I didn't mean to give you a complete rundown of our entire year. I meant to just give you a glimpse of all the good that's taken place this year. Short story long, it's been a wonderful year. 1000x better than 2016 for sure! I am looking forward to 2018, praying that it'll be as good of a year as 2017. There are some great things in the works. Happy New Year!

No comments: