Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Blessed

As I drifted off to sleep last night it was far from silent in our house. P was listening to music on his Google device. Rob was talking to a co-worker about a job he had interviewed for. E and one of his friends were discussing football cards in his room. I laid there, listening to it all, taking in how blessed I am. Growing up, we had a "Leave It To Beaver" life. It wasn't perfect, just like our lives aren't today, but it was good. No it was great. My brother and I always had friends over. My mom fed countless mouths. It seemed our guest room usually had a guest in it. Our house was full and so was our hearts. As an adult, I wanted that same thing. One day when I had kids I wanted to be the "go-to" house. When Rob and I bought this house one thing that attracted us was the pool. We knew that if we had a pool it'd be where all the kids wanted to be. Our pool hasn't been used as much this Summer as it had been last year, but last night, when I was making dinner I realized that my dream came true. I was feeding two extra mouths. At bedtime I was putting an extra boy to sleep on a makeshift bed. We have become my childhood home. I can't count how many extra mouths I have fed since we bought our house a year and a half ago....some invited, some last minute. There have been times when I've scrambled to change and wash the sheets before the next guest arrived. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Another blessing that I never take for granted is that I have the luxury of being a part time working mom, meaning I'm always home with the boys. Yesterday I took P to the doctor for a wellness visit. Then we met friends for CFA's Cow Appreciate Day and topped it off with a trip to the local water park. I didn't have to drop them off at a Summer camp so I could rush off to work. I didn't have to leave directions for a babysitter or nanny so I could do a 9-5 job. I get to make memories with our boys. Some days we meet with friends. Other days we run errands. And some days we just lay low at home. But we get to spend our days together and I love it! And during the school year, I get to take the boys to school, listening to the Bobby Bones Show on the radio. I sit in carpool in the afternoon, eagerly awaiting to hear about their day. It's nothing I take for granted. I know I am blessed to have the life we have.
Our life is far from perfect- Rob and I bicker, the boys bicker, the dog runs off, money gets tight. But I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I will gladly feed extra mouths and scramble to find extra room for people to sleep. I will gladly wash extra dishes (OK, Rob usually does that part!) and extra laundry to open our house to friends, family and even strangers. I am blessed and I am happy!

No comments: