Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Too fast, too soon?

I started this last week but was too tried to finish it so here it is in its entirety.....

I found that my soapbox was getting dusty so I thought I'd climb up on it for just a few minutes this evening, after a long day, to get a few things off my chest. For as long as I've been in education politicians, most of whom have never stepped foot in a classroom for more than a publicity stunt, have dictated what goes on in classrooms. For as long as I've been in education, testing companies go along with the politicians and continue making millions of dollars off of educational standards. As far as I'm concerned it's all getting quite old and I'm hoping the pendulum swings the other way, making education fun again- for the students and teachers and administrators.
When I was in school we had time for projects and still learned valuable lessons. Each year has special memories of fun things I did in the classroom. 3rd grade we learned about math through a student store. 4th grade I learned about Science through the reptiles and animals our teacher kept in the classroom. 5th grade I learned about politics and the dangers of drunk driving through skits and hands-on art projects. 6th grade I learned about Math through balancing checkbooks and playing math games on the computers (a REAL treat back then!). Unfortunately, education is no longer like that. It's scripted and boring and includes way too many assessments. As a teacher, I get this. But as a parent of a soon to be Kindergartner I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I have a real issue with full day Kindergarten, especially since there isn't any "social, play" time anymore. When I taught Kindergarten 9 years ago, it was 3 hrs a day full of signing and dancing and art and social play time. Last year when I taught Kindergarten it was all day with little singing, no dancing and few art projects to incorporate into learning. In short it was BORING!
Now the big educational push is Common Core standards. Some teachers like CC but most do not. I am one that does not. I get that it teaches critical thinking but I'm tired of being dictated on to what we have to teach and then have it change a few years later. Students are pushed to know too much too young these days. I was very surprised to find that the drop out rate has declined in the past decade because I would've thought it had been on the rise due to rigorous curriculum and students falling behind. Between going to school all day and then having to deal with a few hours of homework each night and on the weekends, students no longer have a chance to just be a kid....and it breaks my heart.
I want my son to think school is fun. I don't want him to learn just so he can be assessed. I don't want him to have to grow up too fast too soon. One of the most valuable lessons Kindergarten teaches (or used to anyway) is how to use your imagination and how to play nice with others, how to make it in the real world with give and take. I'm thankful that Common Core has not been adopted by the state of LA YET. I pray that this state and its legislators stick to their guns and don't give in to the almighty dollar that dictates school curriculum these days. I hope at some point my boys find their education fun and exciting. If they don't then I'll have no problem homeschooling (Something I've never been a fan of...until now). My boys deserve to receive a solid education as well as be kids and I'll make that happen however I have to.
OK....now that my soapbox has been thoroughly used I'll step off for awhile......

No comments: