Saturday, March 1, 2014

.....And All That it Entails

I haven't given an Easton update in a few days so thought I'd fill ya in on what's going on in our world. Wednesday was the first day in 10 days that he did not run a fever or vomit...Hallelujah! I was a little too optimistic on Thursday as it had been 24 hrs that he'd been symptom free. So the boys and I ran a couple super quick errands to get out of the house. It was a little too much for Easton and he was pretty fussy by the time we started to make our way home. At some point during the day he developed a rash on his stomach, back and around his hairline. I've since learned that this can be found on children with the swine flu. It's like hives, from what I've read, which explains why he's been fussy. Thursday night all was going well until he started coughing at dinnertime, a sign that puts me on guard. Sure enough he threw up everything he'd eaten that day. Poor guy! Yesterday he wouldn't eat or drink very much and still had the rash. But he's been fever free since Wednesday so I'm praying that we're near the end of this stupid, horrible, nasty h1n1! Maybe then he'll get enough energy to try walking. (He was so close but after being sick off and on for 2 months I don't think he has the ongoing energy to attempt it.)
With being sick, I've called his pediatrician a few times this week to ask questions. I know this virus can be deadly and the Internet provides conflicting info on things I've Googled. When I called Wednesday I felt like I was being a bother to the nurse that took my call. I don't like feeling like that when it comes to the health of my boys. I've had some other issues with the pediatrician's office so on Friday I decided to switch pediatricians. I know I'll be hard pressed to find a pediatrician as good as ours back home but I don't want to feel like a bother when I'm concerned about my boys. I have a good feeling and real peace about this new pediatrician who was recommended to us. So I can't wait to meet her Monday!
P has been a trooper, a good boy, despite being housebound. He was feeling a little under the weather for a couple days but he never got the flu. (Thank GOD for Lysol....my new best friend!) Between dreary weather and a sick little brother I had to get creative with keeping him entertained. We put together foam bunnies for Spring, painted a birdhouse and flower pot and made a monkey mask. Then yesterday we had a birthday party for one of his stuffed animals, Monkey. Together we baked sugar cookies and sang it Happy Birthday! We also enjoyed the beautiful weather yesterday by having a picnic in our front yard. (Being outside is sometimes the only thing that'll make Easton happy.) He also went fishing with Daddy a few times in the evening, a new favorite thing for them.
Like I said, I hope this is behind us so we can get out and enjoy society. Being shut-ins is not easy for me. It's draining mentally so I'm ready to be refreshed. The gorgeous weather this weekend should help with that! Thanks again for your thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

No comments: