Sunday, May 4, 2014

Home Means Nevada

I don't know how many states have state songs but Nevada does. Whenever I go back to visit I get nostalgic and quietly sing, "Home means Nevada to me." The few times I've visited since moving away makes me miss different things. It goes without saying that my friends are at the top of the "I Miss" list. This time I also realized we don't have any restaurants in LA where the waiters know us and our orders, not to mention ask about our lives. I also miss the small town feel, knowing I can be across town within 15 minutes. I miss our old pastor, Pastor Joe. He's such a warm, caring guy with dynamic sermons and a hilarious sense of humor. I miss looking out the window and seeing snow capped mountains almost year round. I miss all the concerts and shows that came to town, making it easy to have a fun date night. When Rob worked for the local power company, to me the guys he worked with became more like family than co-workers. We would get together to celebrate birthdays, wedding engagements, retirements... The guys would help each other when needed and would text/talk on the phone even after working together all day. One of the things I miss the most is the outdoors life. I loved that there were walking and/or hiking trails everywhere and beautiful places to camp. I also loved the mild weather that made it easy to be outdoors all the time.
Now, Southern folks, before you get all defensive let me finish by saying that I don't hate LA the way I did the first 6 months I lived there. In fact it's grown on me. We now have more of a social life, which has helped tremendously! I also love Spring in the South. It's always been my favorite season (along with Fall) but I like how in the South you get to watch the trees and flowers blossom into beautiful scenery all around you. I love the food (and apparently it likes me as well since I'm at my heaviest weight!) and have loved learning new recipes. I love ODBC and the family it has become to us. One of the things I love the most is our neighborhood! I love that there are kids everywhere for the boys to play with. I love that the neighbors watch out for each other, taking time to step outside and chat for hours on end. I love that there's a pond that provides us with fresh fish several times a week (I've learned that Rob's grilled bass is the best!).
I guess there's pros and cons no matter where you live. Home is where the heart is!

No comments: