Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breakthrough and Breakout

This may not seem like a big deal to you but Easton's had 2 breakthroughs this week and they've been a big deal to ME. The first one is that he's making his way into 18mos clothes. The reason this is a big deal is that I was ecstatic that he was my little "chunky monkey" until he was 6mos old....and we moved here. I don't know if it was the stress of the move on my milk supply or him starting to be mobile but he went from the 50th percentile in weight to barely in the 25th percentile. While we were in CA this last time my mom got him to start liking milk, something I haven't been able to do in the past 4 months. (She's a miracle worker with babies/kids!) So, between eating like a linebacker and drinking milk, he's starting to put more weight back on. The other breakthrough is at the dinner table. Every night we sit down as a family to eat. Before we begin our family meal, we hold hands and say the blessing. Since Easton was big enough to sit in a highchair I've offered my hand for him to hold during the blessing. But he's refused or has put food in my hand to share with me every time I've held my hand out to him. A few nights ago, P started saying the dinner blessing and I hadn't even offered my hand to Easton. I heard him grunting next to me so I peeked and saw that he was holding his hand out to me. It melted my heart! Now, if I forget to offer my hand, he's quick to let me know. It reminds me of the verse in Proverbs...."Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." (22:6)
It'd be great if I could end this with another cute story from my older son but, even if you find it cute, that will not be the case. A few nights ago he got mad at me during bathtime. I told him to go to bed early and he wouldn't get his story time or nightly Bible devotions. After getting the boys in bed, I sat on the couch and turned on the TV. I heard a faint knock at the front door a few minutes later, which threw me off because no one comes over once it starts getting dark. I got up and looked out the front door blinds. No one was at my eye level but when I looked down I saw blue monkey PJs....Preston! He had snuck out his bedroom window but then had closed it so no snakes could get in, only to find he had no way to get back in the house. I was so disappointed in him because he doesn't do things like that. He doesn't test the boundaries. He doesn't take his anger out on us. Until now. I hope it's not a regular occurrence because my biggest fear, as a parent, is losing one of my children in one way or another.
Hopefully we'll have more breakthroughs and no more breakouts!

No comments: