Monday, September 14, 2015

Childlike Faith

Do you ever have those parenting moments where you are so happy with your child that you seriously think you'll burst with pride? Well, that's been the past 24 hours with me. It started yesterday when we were leaving church. Rob had taken E so I went to get P from children's church. In his hand he clutched a beautifully drawn picture that he had made for missionaries who were visiting our church from Ireland. After dropping it off at the missions table, he showed me the postcard he had been given, which told about the missionary family and their ministry. It gave me a great opportunity to share with him about missionaries and their importance in God's kingdom.
When we got home, P proceeded to tell me that he and his friend, Paisley, had gotten into an argument the night before when she and her family had come over for dinner. He told me that they had gotten mad at each other about what to play. Then he said, "But, you know what Mom? We realized it was just the devil trying to get in our heart. So we told the devil to get away and we prayed together. Then we were happy and played again." Talk about a proud mama moment!!!!! I was smiling ear to ear while we talked about the situation and how Satan tries to attack us every day but God is stronger.
Fast forward to last night. As I went to tuck the boys into bed I saw P's missionary card on the dresser. Sadly, I didn't think much about this because he's a "collector" (aka hoarder) and can't throw anything away. But as he kneeled at the side of his bed for his bedtime prayers he grabbed the card and looked intently at the missionaries. He then prayed for each one by name and prayed for their ministry in Ireland, that they would bring more people to the Lord through their work. After his prayers he told me he'd like to be a missionary in the desert, telling cowboys about God.
This morning he was getting his backpack ready for school. He grabbed the missionary card and said he wanted that to be his show n tell item. He wanted to use it to tell the kids about Jesus. My heart about burst with pride!!! We talked about how to witness to others and how to help kids learn about Jesus.
I am not naïve enough to think that he won't face adversity. He goes to a public school where he can shine his Light. But that doesn't mean he won't face the devil in doing so. But, just thinking about how on fire he is for the Lord right now in his young life makes me prouder than any straight A report card that he can bring home. I pray every day that his love for the Lord will grow stronger and that he won't be afraid to stand up for his faith. I love his childlike faith and have learned so much from him in it!

1 comment:

Mom said...

It is our prayer that the boys will grow up to be men of God. P has a compassionate little soul. May it ever be do. Mom