Thursday, September 24, 2015

Fall Blues

For the past 3 years, the first day of Fall has been bittersweet. It's that day where I sigh, "Finally, we'll get some relief from the hot humid weather." But it's also the day where I really start missing home as Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Someone posted something on FB about the book club I was a part of and then I saw that the lows temps will be in the 30s next week and that sent me into a "I miss..." tailspin. As I fell asleep last night here are some of the things I realized I miss:
* My friends and family (of course!!)
* The mountains (preferably when they're snowcapped)
* Wearing my UGGs for months (instead of a few days)
* Not having to deal with allergies
* Hearing the coyotes at night (because it's cool enough to open the windows)
* Craft fairs with my mom
* Being close to Apple Hill
* Road infrastructure
* Open land (Sometimes I feel so claustrophobic here)
* Small town parades
* My parents coming to visit for the weekend so Rob and I can go to a concert or just on a date
* Peg's Eggs
* Seeing large wild life (mustangs, deer, bears), not just snakes, lizards and love bugs
* Not having to use mosquito repellent or check for ticks
* Driving in the snow (Who would've ever thought I'd miss that?)
* Holiday parties with friends

The list is endless and this time of year, as much as I appreciate the cooler temps and the sprinkling of local craft fairs and the influx of my photography business, it takes effort not to slip into a funk. With Rob gone every weekend to deer camp, it gets lonely. And that loneliness leads to homesickness and that leads to a funk. But, alas, this too shall pass and one day I won't have to miss those things anymore!

No comments: