Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Rona Easter

This Easter has definitely been a different one. Now before I go further, please don't misinterpret that first sentence as a sad Easter, depressing Easter or even a boring Easter. It's just been different. A few weeks ago we found out that the Resurrection service and egg hunt that our church was putting together was cancelled. We also knew, without a doubt, that an Easter service within a church building was out of the question as well. We knew we wouldn't be able to go out to enjoy an Easter lunch at a local restaurant....or any restaurant for that matter. We knew my parents wouldn't be able to come visit us for Spring Break. We knew we wouldn't be able to do a lot of things we had planned. I had already wrapped my head around all that and was at peace with it. This week I even made a Costco run (donning a mask and gloves of course) to buy tri-tip and shrimp.
What I hadn't anticipated was a storm Thursday night that would keep Rob at work for the past few days. It doesn't bother me that he's working. In fact, I know, that it bothers him way more because he feels like he's missing out on memories. I know we've been blessed with a lot of family time lately so him having to work a little extra is okay. Plus, this is what he enjoys most- helping people in a storm. All of it just made me more determined to have a fun Easter with the boys.
Easter fun started Friday night when the boys dyed eggs and we watched an Easter movie. Yesterday we drove to the church to pick up Easter bags for the boys. After bringing them home and Lysoling them, the boys enjoyed all the treats in the bag. Then I planted plastic eggs full of candy and money throughout the backyard. The boys enjoyed finding them all. Pretty soon we heard sirens and saw the Easter Bunny being brought through the neighborhood in the back of a police truck. The boys waved to him and followed him around the neighborhood. Definitely an Easter highlight! This morning the boys woke up to find Easter baskets full of candy and a dirtbike treat. P was the most excited because he didn't think the Easter Bunny would be bringing anything since the leprechaun didn't come on St Patrick's Day thanks to Rona. I've seen people posting Easter pictures on FB, where the family was dressed in their Sunday best. I didn't want a picture like that because I wanted a picture of how we were going to church on Easter Sunday. So the boys and I got dressed in shorts and t-shirts for this year's Easter picture.
The only reason I was thankful that Rob was not home is because we disagreed on the Easter service. Our church was doing an Easter service at the PARKing lot. I really wanted to go but Rob wanted to watch the service online like we've done the past few weeks. With him not being home, I made the executive decision to "go" to church....and I'm so glad I did. The boys and I pulled up, tuned the radio to the service, and enjoyed church in a new way. At the end of the service was communion (I had wiped everything down because P and I partook of it). E started asking how you become a Christian. I explained it to him and, right there in the parking lot, he asked Jesus into his heart! What an Easter blessing, a memory to last a lifetime!
We did not have a fancy Easter meal (That'll have to wait until Rob is here, minus the shrimp cocktail which I've pretty much eaten single-handedly). We did not do an organized egg hunt. We did not dress in our Sunday best. But we did worship our risen Savior. We did create wonderful (life-changing) memories. And we do have a lot to be thankful for. The boys have said several times, "This is the best Easter ever!". I have to admit that, despite it not being a "normal" Easter, it sure has been a good one.
Happy Easter! He is risen! He is risen indeed!!!












No comments: