Tuesday, April 7, 2020

When You're Struggling

This week has been hard for several people I have spoke with. We got word from President Trump that the shelter in place will be extended until April 30. I love my family. I love my boys. But I want to have more freedom to do what I want. I want to be their parent instead of their teacher (although P is starting to rock fractions and I will be happy to take all the credit for that. HA!). I miss going to the gym with my friend. I am craving adult face-to-face interaction that doesn't require technology. I miss going to restaurants of my choice, not having to worry if an employee is sick. I miss running errands without restrictions. I had a mini pity party on Sunday because of it all.
But, I have learned that, for myself, it's best to do something productive at least once a day to feel some sort of normalcy. One day it was just doing a load of laundry and unloading the dishwasher. But I did something. Other days, like today, it's full of projects that have been on our "To-Do" list for a year or more. Every day I get outside because, praise the Lord, our weather has been beautiful. The boys and I go on at least two walks a day. I am getting tired of seeing the same scenery but I am sure loving all the memories that we're making, the laughs we're sharing, on our walks.
We've even tried some new things during this time. Snake fishing anyone?? (HA!) We've been doing a lot of art, which the boys are loving. And we're trying to be good "neighbors" by making cards for people in nursing homes and taking people food who are in need.
We're trying to make the best out of this historical event. But, some days are easier than others. I am ready for things to go back to normal but I sure am thankful for all the down time we've had. Tonight, Rob and I were sitting in the backyard, watching the boys play, and listening to music. The weather was perfect and I just sat there, taking it all in, thankful for moments like that. The moments that I want to remember even when this is behind us. Despite the frustrations, there have been a lot of good during the past month. And for that I am thankful.

No comments: