Thursday, August 14, 2014

Misunderstandings of Death

If you're reading this in hopes of learning about P's first day of school, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I have a list of things to blog about. I had planned to do it today but the day got busy. I don't have the energy tonight to blog more than one entry so hang tight and you'll get to learn about the first day of school soon enough.
Tonight's blog entry will be me on my soapbox...for a brief moment....about society and death. If you follow NASCAR you most likely heard about a fatal wreck that took place last weekend. If you didn't I'll fill you in. A driver, Tony Stewart, who hit another driver, Kevin Ward, during a race, causing the young driver to die. I was determined NOT to watch the video that a spectator had taken of the incident. But I got tired of basing my opinion on everyone else's opinion. So I watched the clip and here's my "educated" opinion: I was not there to pass judgment. Even if I had been there I don't have the right to pass judgment because I am not Tony Stewart. Yes, he has a temper. Yes, he has displayed it on more than one occasion. Yes, it has gotten in the way of his racing in the past. But, if I was put on the witness stand at his trial I would not be able to say that he indeed committed premeditated homicide. In fact, if I went with my gut I'd say that he did not intentionally hit the kid and will live to regret that moment of time for the rest of his life. I feel bad for all parties involved and no matter what the outcome is, Tony Stewart will most likely never be the same person as he was even 1 minute before that wreck took place.
Now onto another high profile death this week...Robin William's. I quickly learned on social media that most of society either called him a coward or acted as if he was their personal, best friend. Neither one is correct in my opinion. The whole thing is a tragedy. It took the life of a very talented and funny actor. But I don't know what it's like to be bipolar. I don't know what it's like to struggle with such intense depression. I don't know what it's like to be in the early stages of a disabilitating disease. Yes, he made me laugh, Yes, I found him to be extremely talented. Yes, I grew up watching his movies. But I never met the guy. I didn't feel a personal connection with him so I don't feel the need to gush about his death on social media, trying to make his death a personal tragedy in my life. Unfortunately, he had mental health issues and was plagued with a lot of demons. What I find sad is that he made fun of Christianity yet people glorify him because he's funny and because he's famous. What I find sad is that over a thousand people have died on the Gaza strip recently but they're not mentioned all over social media. What I find sad is that people are being so judgmental of a very sad situation, without really knowing what was going on in his head or in his life (other than what was mentioned in the media). The whole situation makes me sad but that's about the depth of my connection with it. In fact, both cases are tragic, affected many and could've been prevented.
So those are my opinions. Take it or leave it. I just hadn't gotten on my soapbox recently (probably because I hadn't blogged much recently) and was troubled by these events this week. Or rather I was bothered my people's reactions to these events this week. Stay tuned and you'll get a blog about P one of these days....soon???

No comments: