Saturday, June 15, 2019

11 years and counting....

Yesterday, we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. Since we don't go on too many dates and we only exchange gifts on Christmas and our birthdays, we usually celebrate our anniversary big. This year, however, was different. Rob had to finish up preliminary exams because he is going to be donating his kidney to his best friend. Since we had appointments (I had to talk to a psychologist to make sure I was capable of taking care of him post-op) on Thursday we decided to spend the day together...at the hospital. In between appointments, we had lunch at the infamous Mayflower Café and drove around downtown. Yesterday, on our actual anniversary, my anniversary dinner (Rob opted not to eat) consisted on PARDS ballpark nachos while we watched E's doubleheader. To me, even though we didn't do anything big, it was the perfect celebration!
It was perfect because we spent the day together, just hanging out. It was perfect because, on our actual anniversary, we spent it as a family. This past year or so has been hard for me personally/professionally. But, during this time, I have fallen more in love with Rob and have really come to cherish our family time together. Rob is my confidant, my voice of reason, someone who can make me laugh, who listens (most of the time..ha!), is my cheerleader, defends me but also lets me know when I am in the wrong, cuddles me when I need to cry, goes on walks with me because I just need to get fresh air to think straight, is almost always the first to say "sorry" and lets me be me without passing judgment. The other night I got fed up and used social media to spout off about something. I showed it to Rob and he was quick to tell me it wasn't appropriate and I needed to delete it. I appreciated that, in a loving way, he told me I was wrong.
You know the thing that I have loved most about him lately? He has been planning family trips and fun things to do as a family. For the first 8 years of our marriage, he was a lineman so he missed out on a lot. I got used to doing things with just me and the boys. But, over the course of the past 3 years that has changed. I love that we do things as a family. And I love even more that he plans some of the stuff.
I am not doing the "social media-everything-is-perfect" type blog. We have our days where we've had our fill of each other. We have times when we don't see eye to eye. But, in recent months, the good days far outweigh the bad. The laughter exceeds the arguments. We're at a peak and I sure hope we stay here for a long time to come because I can't wait to spend the next 11 years with this man!

No comments: