Sunday, June 16, 2019

Father's Day

Today is a special day because it honors the fathers in the world. It honors their hard work, lessons taught, time spent with their children, unconditional love given and so much more. Today, and every day, I realize how blessed I am to have a wonderful dad, husband and father-in-law.
"I loved her first.
I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers.
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father run deeps..."
This is the song my dad and I danced to at our wedding and I love it because it's so true. For me my dad was the first man for many things in my life...to hold me, to tell me I was beautiful, to demonstrate God's unconditional love and grace, to show me how my husband should treat me. He taught the importance of living a godly life. To this day, one of the things I love (and admire) most about him is how patient he is. I remember, growing up, how he'd spend HOURS playing Monopoly with me or tutor me in math. To this day my dad listens, gives advice but doesn't pass a lot of judgement. To me he exemplifies Jesus in so many ways and I am so blessed to call him "Dad".

My husband and I have very different parenting style, but over the course of the past 10 years I've come to appreciate that, while different, we have the same goals in mind with raising our boys. I have learned to sit back and enjoy the rough housing. I love watching the boys wrestle with Rob and getting thrown in the pool by him. I love watching them play ball in the front yard together. I love that he teaches them about hunting and fishing, something that they enjoy doing together. He teaches them things I either don't enjoy or know nothing about so we balance each other out. One of the things I love most about him is his work ethic. He is a hard worker and gives 110% of himself to his job every day. He constantly demonstrates the value of hard work to the boys.

My father in law and I have become closer in recent years. He spoils us and spends time with the boys. Recently, he has embraced the boys' love of baseball by taking them to the local ball park to play ball with them. He gets crickets and takes them fishing. He cooks the best meals! His breakfasts are better than a restaurant's. But my new favorite is the maple salmon and asparagus he makes. The best thing about him, though? His big bear hugs. I remember after the flood. I hadn't cried, I had held it together....until he got to my inlaw's house. My father in law greeted me at the door with a hug and I just cried and cried. He held me in a big bear hug and let me cry until I felt better.

I don't take for granted that these men are such important people in mine and the boys' lives. I appreciate that each of them brings something different to our lives, but that they all bring unconditional love. I know that we are blessed not just today, but every day, to be loved by these men.

"He never looks for praises
He's never one to boast.
He just goes on quietly working
for those he loves the most."

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful fathers out there!!

No comments: