Wednesday, June 12, 2019

People First

Back in 2002 I took a break from teaching and worked at a non-profit agency that helped adults with disabilities. While working there, I learned the importance of putting people first instead of focusing on their disability. Words like "retarded" or "special needs person/kid" are spoken without thought. Those are words I have heard a lot this Summer. The word "retarded" to me is the same as hearing the "n-word"....like nails on a chalkboard. I understand that the Oxford definition of "retarded" means  "very foolish or stupid" but I don't know how many people take the time to look up the definition or just throw it out there on a regular basis. It's a word that my student know is not okay to say in front of me. It really bothers me.
This is why words and phrases like that chap my hide: People did not ask to be born a certain way. I look in the mirror and would love to change a few things about me (nose job anyone??). But by wishing that I am saying that God made a mistake when designing me and that is not true. Just like he did not make a mistake when he designed people with down syndrome or autism or a physical disability. GOD DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES! What becomes important, as I've learned, is that EVERYONE has something to contribute to life, no matter how big or small it's deemed by society. Just because a person is non-verbal does not mean that person is not smart. A guy I worked with, Mr A, had autism and was non-verbal. Despite the fact that both of her parents were prominent lawyers, people viewed Mr A as dumb because he could not communicate. The organization I worked for worked tiredlessly in getting him a communication device. What a world that opened up for everyone when he got it! Talk about smart! Once Mr A was able to verbalize his thoughts and the people around him got to see just how intelligent he really was.
It is not okay, in my opinion, to make fun of or even make negative comments about the way God designed a person. Trust me, the person knows they have disabilities and, whether he/she likes it, those disabilities are part of the person. But put the person first and their disability last. Instead of finding the negative, find what that person's ABILITIES are. I bet you'll find quite a treasure if you just take the time to look a little deeper!

No comments: